Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle U with $ vs. Gonzaga with more $$  (Read 1085 times)

AppleHead

• View Profile
Seattle U with $ vs. Gonzaga with more $$
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:06:26 AM »
Hello friends,

I'm a long time lurker on this board and wanted to post to get some advice from my fellow applicants.  I'm considering offers from Seattle U. and Gonzaga.  I'm currently living in the Seattle area and want to hopefully end up here when I finish law school.  Gonzaga has offered me  13K a year renewable for 3 years (10k renewable with a 2.75, 3k for maintaining good standing).  Seattle U. has offered me 5k a year renewable if I stay in the top fifty-percent of the class.  I'm torn between the two and am wondering if the additional cost of Seattle U. is really worth it.  Not to mention the cost of living in Spokane is much cheaper than Seattle.  Also, has anybody had any luck negotiating scholarships with Seattle?  Thanks everybody!     

Gaditano

• View Profile
Re: Seattle U with $ vs. Gonzaga with more $$
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:20:44 AM »
I have very similar offers from each school (Gonzaga being slightly more and Seattle slightly less).  And as a matter of fact i tried to negotiate with Seattle U but to no avail. They told me that they "discussed my file"...but were not in the position to "reevaluate it". But from what they said i think that it oftentimes happens so i would suggest you try.  It doesn't hurt anything to ask. Have you visited both schools? That goes a long way in making a final decision.

natsirt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:00:39 AM »
I have spoke with an attorney at Lane Powell and a former prosecutor from Oregon.  Both stated that Seattle U grads were excellent and that they threw away applications from Gonzaga grads. 

AppleHead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 01:38:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses! 

I actually went to the Gonzaga open house for admitted students this past Saturday.  I thought the law school facility was pretty nice and the faculty and staff were all really friendly and approachable.  I like the fact that everything is self-contained in the law building and the school seems small enough that you really get to connect with your professors.  Although, I'm not too sure how crazy I am about Spokane or Spokompton as some call it.  I'm not too familiar with the facilities at SU, but I'll be going to their open house this Wednesday to check it out.   

Gaditano, which way are you leaning between SU and GU?

And damn, that sucks about GU applications being tossed...I wonder how typical that is out here in the northwest.

mikiimai

• Sr. Citizen
  • me and my sis 18 years ago.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 06:06:11 PM »
if your goal is to stay in seattle go to Seattle U. it is good school and I regret not applying there. Well, I heard Gonzaga is respected in Eastern Washington but the degree will not go far in western washington

spud1987

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 06:46:25 PM »
That's funny because I've heard that Gonzaga grads are actually hired just as much as Seattle grads in Western Wash.  I guess it just depends on the employer. 

Gaditano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 07:49:53 PM »
My favorite version of Spokane is "Spokosovo".  Right now i just like the idea of Seattle over Spokane as far as proximity to the largest legal community in the NW. I was considering Lewis and Clark and then decided to bag it because i would probably try and work in Seattle afterwards anyway. After visiting, i just couldn't picture myself there (at Gonzaga). If you go to Gonzaga i bet you could find a job in seattle easy enough but i'm thinking it'd be even easier (more alumni west of the cascades) at Seattle U. So i'm definately leaning toward SU.

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 07:20:51 AM »
Does Gonzaga place well in Seattle? There seems to be quite a bit of discrepancy in opinion.

AppleHead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 01:28:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm not too sure either...It really depends on who you talk to.  To me, it seems like going to Gonzaga places you at a disadvantage because you'd be out in Spokane for at least three years and would have to come back to Seattle and compete against SU and UW for jobs.  Like Gaditano said already, I would think that a GU grad could definitely get a job in Seattle, but it'd probably be much easier for someone from one of the Seattle schools.  More than anything, it probably really depends on the individual.  After visiting SU's student reception lastnight, I think I'm probably leaning towards going there over GU... 

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 07:18:55 PM »
For me I'm trying to choose between Willamette and Gonzaga right now. I prefer to practice in Seattle. But I rather be in Oregon than out in eastern side of Washington. So if it's not going to be all that easy getting a job in Seattle coming out of Gonzaga, I'm not sure if it should be my first choice. I too think SU is better though.