Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MIDWEST DEATHMATCH: WUSTL $$$ VS MICH 0$  (Read 994 times)

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
MIDWEST DEATHMATCH: WUSTL $$$ VS MICH 0$
« on: April 02, 2006, 08:58:39 PM »
I am pretty sure I don't want to go biglaw, I would be interested in gov't/small firm/public interest/boutique style/ in house employment.  I am considering polishing up my computer science minor into a BA so that I could possibly do patent prosecution, so that will be more cash. 

Parents aren't paying sh1t, I have about 5k in student loans from UG.  I like St. Louis, I have friends there.  STL would be nice for the mix of city/campus, while Ann Arbour seems like it would be a better overall campus to attend school. 

If I end up getting married or some crazy thing like that, I know Michigan's LRAP would become close to useless, so I wonder whether it would be better to start out with less debt.  Also, I am interested in working in CA, which Michigan could help with, while WUSTL would probably not. 

Any thing I missing in my considerations?  I really don't want to feel pressured into biglaw just because of the debt.  I am a habit forming type of person, so once in an industry I could see staying longer then its healthy.

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MIDWEST DEATHMATCH: WUSTL $$$ VS MICH 0$
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 09:59:05 PM »

Michigan-Out of State tuition- 38,000

WUSTL tutiion 35500 per LSAC (not sure how up to date this is, but I couldn't find it on the WUSTL website.

WUSTL scholarship 24k

So in reality tuition at WashU would literally be 27K less a year (81K less over three years).  They both tally their total costs of living at around 15k, so...

Debt Totals:

WASHU: (15+11K) X 3= 78K total debt
MICH:  (38K + 15K) X 3 = 159K in total debt.

I am not even doing Northwestern anymore because tution is 40k next year, which essentially means about 60kX3=180k!!!!

Thanks btw! Congrats on the cash that you have gotten too Dave!  Can't beat a good discount.  Myself being a veteran of Fatwallet.com, I have a hard time turning down a reduced tuition. 

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:01:38 PM »
I guess the potential problem here is that 80k is still pretty hard to pay off, and could be potentially even more problematic if I don't do so hot in the grades dept. at Washu.  Mich would at least offer a pretty good LRAP that I could take advantage of as long as I wasn't married.

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:20:13 PM »
And yes, to be honest, I probably wouldn't have chosen Wash U without the money. I originally had $25/year scholars of law award which was just bumped up to a full-tuition Olin Fellowship which sealed the deal for me. Wink

Did they invite you to apply for this scholarship?  Congratulations!

beatthebuckeyes

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:57:59 PM »
Actually, the LRAP program will help you when you are married as long as your spouse isn't making big money.  I think when you are married they take the higher of the two incomes to figure out the need.  Don't quote me on that, but the details are on the UM website.

Have you tried to leverage Michigan at all with your $$ from Wash U? You probably won't be able to leverage them much (WUSTL isn't considered a "peer school") but with a scholarship that large, they may do something for you to entice you to come.  It's worth a shot.
University of Michigan Law, Class of 2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 11:32:23 PM »

WUSTL tutiion 35500 per LSAC (not sure how up to date this is, but I couldn't find it on the WUSTL website.

WUSTL scholarship 24k

So in reality tuition at WashU would literally be 27K less a year (81K less over three years).  They both tally their total costs of living at around 15k, so...

Debt Totals:

I am not even doing Northwestern anymore because tution is 40k next year, which essentially means about 60kX3=180k!!!!

Thanks btw! Congrats on the cash that you have gotten too Dave!  Can't beat a good discount.  Myself being a veteran of Fatwallet.com, I have a hard time turning down a reduced tuition. 

Isn't it possible to qualify for Michigan residency after a year?

PeteDoherty

• What became of the likely lads?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 05:32:59 AM »
I would totally go for U Mich...you might be not living that well right after LS if you go there...but you should think long term.

Also..just out of curiosity..how are you going to parlay your CS minor into a full major? Is there some school that will just allow you take more classes to receive a bachelors in CS?
When she wakes up in the morning..she writes down all her dreams.

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:39:14 AM »

WUSTL scholarship 24k

Debt Totals:

even if it were possible, in-state at Michigan is only about 3 grand cheaper per year... yeah, "state school"  ha.
i like complicated :)

PeteDoherty

• What became of the likely lads?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 10:50:58 AM »

WUSTL scholarship 24k

Debt Totals:

even if it were possible, in-state at Michigan is only about 3 grand cheaper per year... yeah, "state school"  ha.

I knew people who did undergard at mich..I don't understand why someone would pay that much money for a public school at the undergrad level.
When she wakes up in the morning..she writes down all her dreams.

beatthebuckeyes

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:06:34 PM »
FYI- Umich undergrad is not NEAR the law school tuition.  Undergrad in state < $10,000 which is a pretty good deal considering what you would pay at other top 25 schools.  The law school is just freaking ridiculous.  But there's no shortage of people in line to pay that tuition....
University of Michigan Law, Class of 2008