Law School Discussion

Would you turn down a decent school to have a shot at a better school next yr.?

I was just thinking, would you guys turn down your acceptance to a mediocre school (GWU, BC, Fordham etc) this year if you thought you had a better chance of getting accepted to a top 14 the following year??

Right now my grades are borderline for top 14, but I think if I did really well my senior year, my gpa would be high enough to really give me a shot at the top 14 next year. However, would it be worth it to turn down a school like Fordham, BC, BU etc,  if you were going to be a year behind.

jacy85

• View Profile
I think your classification of BC as a mediocre school is a bit off kilter.  Same with BU.  They're both around top 25, and have good regional status.  If your top choice is really top 14, then wait and see with a higher gpa. At least give credit to schools where it's due though.

I didnt mean it like that (which I thought most of you smart folks would understand). I just meant mediocre in the sense that Fordham is no Columbia, Penn or Cornell etc. Ofcourse BU, BC and GWU are great schools, and would have no problem getting a good job if you did really well, but that doesn't change the fact that going to Columbia would seriously improve career options.

first of all, if your borderline for top 14 already, then I dont see how your GPA can change significantly. Unless you have a 175+ and a 3.0, there's very little you can do about your GPA this late in college. Secondly, I'm sure you meant no harm by calling GW/Fordham/BC mediocre, but these schools have just as high average salaries, as well as employment rates. If you're set on HYS, then by all means try, but don't think it'll open doors a GW degree won't.

swifty

• View Profile
    • Email
I didnt mean it like that (which I thought most of you smart folks would understand). I just meant mediocre in the sense that Fordham is no Columbia, Penn or Cornell etc. Ofcourse BU, BC and GWU are great schools, and would have no problem getting a good job if you did really well, but that doesn't change the fact that going to Columbia would seriously improve career options.

So are you saying that anyone who goes to BU or BC and GWU and does well, they would have no problem finding a job? or is it just you who would have no problem finding a job provided you did well?

So are you saying that anyone who goes to BU or BC and GWU and does well, they would have no problem finding a job? or is it just you who would have no problem finding a job provided you did well?

Anyone I assume.

I'm sure top 10% at GWU will pretty much guarantee a great job (and by great job I mean making 125K+).  Graduating in the top 10% of your class has got to be one of the most difficult things to accomplish though. Coming from a top 14 school provies some breathing room in my opinion.

jacy85

• View Profile
then why not stick up for #20 GW too

I don't know anything about GW, so didn't stick it in my defense.  I'm from Boston, so I'm pretty familiar to BU and BC.  Sorry!  I'm sure it's also a great school! :)

This question makes me sick!  GWU, BC, Fordham are all good schools and far from mediocre.  Personally, if i got into any of these schools I would be happy and accept their offer.  If you honestly you are top 14 criteria, apply after your 1st year, and transfer. 

I was just thinking, would you guys turn down your acceptance to a mediocre school (GWU, BC, Fordham etc) this year if you thought you had a better chance of getting accepted to a top 14 the following year??

Right now my grades are borderline for top 14, but I think if I did really well my senior year, my gpa would be high enough to really give me a shot at the top 14 next year. However, would it be worth it to turn down a school like Fordham, BC, BU etc,  if you were going to be a year behind.

I think someone had it right before, your GPA cant change that much to push the envelope either way.  What is your GPA/LSAT.  By far the LSAT will determine where you go not your GPA.  If your GPA is near the 25th percentile but your LSAT is above the 50th you will still have a good chance

I would wait a year, it sounds like you still need to sort out your options.

You are a senior UG, so probably around 21 or 22 years old.  Waiting a year until you are 23 to start law school will be no significant detriment to your career, and year's worth of maturity and education might be a significant boost, regardless of what school you choose to attend.  The opportunity for a better school is just icing on the cake.  Plus, a year away from academics might help you feel refreshed...I am returning to law school at 26 and I can't wait to study again, something I would never have felt my senior year of UG.