Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What can USNEWS *REALISTICALLY* do to improve the rankings?  (Read 1906 times)

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What can USNEWS *REALISTICALLY* do to improve the rankings?
« on: April 02, 2006, 12:55:32 PM »
by realistic i mean stuff like 'dont use any lsat or peer numbers' isn't really an option

if you have an idea go ahead and list it- here is mine

when having reputation scores filled out, let it be on a 10 point scale. 

Why?  Right now the rankings are so incredibly bunched up that there needs to be a little more seperation.  Ranking from 1-5 is very difficult.  Think about if you were filling the survey out.  You would likely reserve a '1' for the tier 4 and a good amount of tier 3 schools.  You would likely use the '5' on schools in the t14.  A '4' in most of the rest of the top 40 or so, a 3 in the mid to end of tier 2 and a '2' in the remainder.  Thing is there really isn't much room to really rank.  For example what if i as a person being surveyed think ND is a better school then UNC (purely hypo).  I want to give ND a better score then UNC but i can't justify putting ND in the same category as yale.  At the same time i can't justify dropping UNC's score down.  So I just give them the same score.  Giving a 1-10 range allows for a much more accurate reflection of what the peer scores are.  And since that is 40% of the ranking, i think it would play an important roll in stopping ties and giving a more accurate reflection of the method USNews seesm to like

ScienceAndLaw

• View Profile
Re: What can USNEWS *REALISTICALLY* do to improve the rankings?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:11 PM »
Put 80% of the ranking on reputation scores.  5% on incomming LSAT median and 5% on incomming GPA median and 5% on employed at 9 months, 2% on yeild and 3% on facilities (buildings, technology).

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »
Put 80% of the ranking on reputation scores.  5% on incomming LSAT median and 5% on incomming GPA median and 5% on employed at 9 months, 2% on yeild and 3% on facilities (buildings, technology).

Our tuition dollars and other monies are incentives to law schools.  As most law students find the US News rankings a great guide to deciding where to go these rankings are "measurements" that will yeild those incentives.  So what you really should be asking is what do we want law schools to do? 

I want them to help me get a good job.  I'd say 95% of rankings should be future career prospects.  Rankings should be based on the ability of law schools to get us jobs.
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
Reputation is, in large part, established by the USNEWS rankings themselves. To place an over-emphasis on the reputation score would put an unfair and nearly unalterable benefit to the current top schools, and weight against the lower ranked schools.

I think that's possibly the worst suggestion that could be offered.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »
toledo gives out a ton of money and they have insane graduation employment stats.  i take this to mean that their career services office must be awesome.  i really think i got a good deal there.  i'm 90% sure that's where i'm headed. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 09:20:07 PM »
Reputation is, in large part, established by the USNEWS rankings themselves. To place an over-emphasis on the reputation score would put an unfair and nearly unalterable benefit to the current top schools, and weight against the lower ranked schools.

I think that's possibly the worst suggestion that could be offered.
Actually since all we really concern ourself is the ability to get work why do we care about anything but reputation and the placement data?
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »
Maybe it should just be diversity of courses and career prospects.

Keep the reputation the way they are, but make it more of a 20/10, favoring firms.

It should be

10- peer review
20- employer review
20- average salary FOR ALL students/COL
5- Clerkship placement (more points for feds)
5- Academia
10- Employment Rate
10- Bar Passage
10- SF Ratio
10- Classes per student

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
Maybe it should just be diversity of courses and career prospects.

Keep the reputation the way they are, but make it more of a 20/10, favoring firms.

It should be

10- peer review
20- employer review
20- average salary FOR ALL students/COL
5- Clerkship placement (more points for feds)
5- Academia
10- Employment Rate
10- Bar Passage
10- SF Ratio
10- Classes per student

Average salary doesn't make any sense because you're giving undue weight to schools who place in major cities.  Iowa has a crappy average salary but does that mean I should go to Loyola-Chicago instead of Iowa?

Also, I really don't know if people will care too much about SF ratio/classes per student.  This feels like a "soft" number that won't help you get the next job.

Then again, maybe its best if schools aren't RANKED at all.  Maybe they should provide us with raw data and we should make our own rankings.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 12:52:48 PM »
I think USNEWS does tend to gear towards how good law schools are at getting you jobs.  40% of rankings are based on reputation, 22.5 % is based on lsat and gpa, which tells you how students view the schools because usually students pick the school they think offers them the best chance to succeed.  The bar passage rate and employed at graduation and 9 months laters also factor in, so that the majority of the currently rankings is geared towards a school's reputation.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »
Yes. It sorta does that already. Though, giving you a picture of what you could be doing afterwards is also important.