Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: :)  (Read 20449 times)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Loyola-LA
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »
i just called the admissions office.. brace yourselves for some sad news...

last year "NO ONE" got accepted from the waitlist!  :'(

but.. they are willing to accept any additional documents during the "wait"..

I hope this year is different! GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!

but the year before that, 30-40 were accepted off the waitlist...so it varies from yr to yr. I am really starting to care less and less

However, i dunno how much truth is in what they said--for example, my cousin swears she got in last yr off the waitlist just 2 days before class---shes in the part time program HTH Pinky!

Thanks skeptic. Wouldn't it be awesome if we both ended up at Loyola??  ;D

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »
Finally!

Waitlisted at Loyola - via mail.   :P

I had to drive downtown today for a workshop... and by the time I got home I was sure I would NOT enjoy that traffic everyday.  I love to drive - just not stop go stop go honk honk screech  :o.

When I'm done with my JD, I really think it will be time to leave this asphalt smog land, and move on to greener pastures.

Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

drlovebug

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2006, 12:19:11 PM »
found i was waitlisted at loyola a sec ago :(

i planned on visiting this wknd from the east coast but will now spend the entire 3 days in san diego instead (to visit usd)

oh well..   decide in a day or two if i wana withdraw i guess
2L

ellay

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2006, 12:26:22 PM »
I went to the evening division information session last night and they said the full-time division is full.. On the bright side, the evening program has potential.  I'm impressed

Go Clippers!

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2006, 01:46:14 PM »
I went to the evening division information session last night and they said the full-time division is full.. On the bright side, the evening program has potential.  I'm impressed

Go Clippers!

What do you mean my potential? Potential to accept applicants off the wl?

Go Clippers!!!!  :-*

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »
I'll be giving up my spot very soon (I paid 1st deposit), so there will a FT opening.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a W O L V E R I N E

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2006, 09:36:29 PM »
I'll be giving up my spot very soon (I paid 1st deposit), so there will a FT opening.

Congrats on UM!

Thank you!  I'm going to wait until I get the official notice in the mail until I send in my Loyola withdrawal.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a W O L V E R I N E

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
there has been some acceptances off Loyola's waitlist as LSN indicates.....the more that arrive, the less hope i have =/

EDIT: Not that i had much hope

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »
I am one of the people who was taken off of the Loyola waitlist.  Heres my story which can also be seen at LSN:

I was invited to an information session designed to sway day time applicants to the evening program.  The information session was a by-invitation only thing for people who have spent a minimum of one year working after undergrad.  Basically, if you were a local person, worked for a year or more after undergrad, and stated that you would consider the evening program if not given a day time seat (this is on the ORIGINAL application), then you were sent an email.  I think you numbers would generally have to be pretty close to their averages as well.  There were about 25 applicants there (free food... woohoo!) But basically it opened up a door for me to really share my personality and career goals with members of the faculty.  After speaking with everyone there that night, I was thoroughly sold on the evening program.  It really is a fantastic program and I immediately emailed and called the admissions office the following morning to inform them that I would like to change my preference from day program to the evening program (I was told by someone in the admissions office that doing so GREATLY increases your chances of admittance since the probability of being taken off of the waitlist is HIGHLY unlikely).

As far as additional information, I had a very influential Loyola grad write an additional letter of recommendation after I was waitlisted.  I also faxed and mailed a letter of continued interest to the admissions office.  When I went into the admission office, I took a quick peek at my file and EVERYTHING was there including random emails that I sent to the assistant dean of admissions, thanking her for meeting with me.  If you're REALLY set on getting a shot at Loyola, I recommend calling the office and asking that you change your seat preference to evening program because the day program was quite literally filled up with only a handful of evening seats remaining.  My case was almost a fluke as a seat opened up last minute and my name was thrown around because of of the information session the night before.  Last year, a handful of seats opened up a couple of weeks before classes commenced... and I literally mean a handful... as in 5 seats (as I was told).  Do the math, 5 seats open for over 200 waitlisted applicants and its really a LOOOONG shot.  I highly recommend that you try to shoot for the evening program - its really a great program and even if I wasn't given a day program, I was willing to turn down Pepperdine and Univ of San Diego for it.  The fact is, unless you have great numbers, you're not likely to be taken off of the waitlist.

Good luck to you all.

Congrats on getting of the WL. Loyola is a great school. I am curious to know what you mean when you say you "took a quick peek at your file". If we go to the admissions office & ask to look at our file, they will let us? Please elaborate.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2006, 07:25:13 PM »
Hey Aaron thanks for the information, and Congrats on Loyola!!  I am inclined to disagree about what you said the prospects are for people to get off the waitlist if ur numbers arent great.  I think, as many have told me, that schools waitlist people for many reasons, and the prospects of getting in depend on many obstacles.  For example, sometimes schools are willing to let in someone with not so great numbers to diversify the class.  Other times, they will admit people off the waitlist because they left a lasting impression.  These are just a few examples--i am sure there are plenty more.  Plus, if you were to look closely on LSN--i, like many others, should have been auto-dinged.  In fact, there are a lot of people with much better numbers than me who flat out got rejected.  To assume they will only admit people off the waitlist based on numbers would not make sense to why they waitlisted people with low numbers in the first place.