Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara's Median Salary 125k?  (Read 633 times)

spud1987

Santa Clara's Median Salary 125k?
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:33:18 PM »
So I was checking the new USNWR rankings and it says SCU's median salary is 125k with the 25% and 75% numbers being 90 and 125.  Could this be accurate, are they're numbers really better than Hasting and Davis and comparable to USC's and UCLA's?

jashdey

Re: Santa Clara's Median Salary 125k?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:29:51 AM »
SCU's salary ranges will always be on the high end because they have a strong IP/High Tech law program.  Lots of their graduates go to work for Silicon Valley companies which, on average, pay more than other places in the state.

jballer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:46:04 AM »
Unless Hastings median went down from last year...their median is 125k as well because they are in SF.  Davis' median is lower, I think around 107k but that is because more graduates work in Sacramento which has a lower cost of living.  Davis' 75th percentile is 125k just like all the other schools.  It just depends where you want to work after you graduate.

spud1987

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:45:53 PM »
Hastings median salary is 94K according to the new USNWR and Davis's median is 80K.  I just can't imagine SCU's salary being so high.

Unless Hastings median went down from last year...their median is 125k as well because they are in SF.  Davis' median is lower, I think around 107k but that is because more graduates work in Sacramento which has a lower cost of living.  Davis' 75th percentile is 125k just like all the other schools.  It just depends where you want to work after you graduate.

Geddon187

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »
This is what happens when only 42% of graduates report their salary. Who do you think is more likely to talk about their salary, the person making 125k or the person making 50k?

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 06:49:40 AM »
SCU's median slaray is horribly skewed by the IP program.  They have a nice niche market up there in the silicon valley, and they place lots of grads there who are making the IP salaries that push their numbers up

the only way the median salary could be "horribly skewed" by the IP program is a) if a great majority of the top 50% of income earners go to IP programs (and such IP programs pay ~125k) or employers would still have to dig deeper into Santa Clara's rankins unless IP programs don't care about taking "cream of the crop" and grades aren't as much of a factor in the employment process as they are in bigLaw. average isn't median, so either IP programs are less picky, or Santa Clara has a greater rep to law firms than schools of its "caliber" that it's compared to here..? (or IP programs take a LOT of people from SC) i'm guessing if the IP programs are the deciding factor here that many of the top grads (grades-wise) go on to biglaw or market-paying firms and the median is bolstered by students without the tip top grades that go into IP? complete conjecture here, i don't know anything about the school. ok, this completely stream-of-consciousness nothingness and bad grammar came out of utter boredom at work where i'm doing overtime without getting paid and currently waiting probably hours (it's already eight pm) for someone else to review my work and give it back so i can review it some more and go home at some ridiculous hour. :( just wanted to rant and this was my topic of choice, sorry!  ;D
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.