Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alabama law schools  (Read 5114 times)

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
Alabama law schools
« on: January 18, 2004, 12:15:09 PM »
I only have a few law schools to apply to because I live in Huntsville, Alabama and need to keep my residence there for my family:

Samford, University of Alabama, or Vanderbilt.  Of course I'm assuming a lot here, as I may not even get accepted by any of them (haven't even taken the LSAT yet).

However, I'd like to hear from someone who knows about any of these schools personally.

Samford vs. U of A law school?  Any suggestions, comments about why one should pick one over the other.  U of A is CONSIDERABLY cheaper (3 years for the price of one year in Samford, but do you get what you pay for? Vanderbilt is a stretch for me I'm sure, but I'll still apply there if I get the right LSAT score. 

Athough I have a small family, I  will have to live at or near the campus and see my wife on weekends (tough but worth the sacrifice) since we need to keep our house in Huntsville.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ronnie Flores
One day it was so cold in Chicago that the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Alabama law schools
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 10:16:55 PM »
Hey Dante,

Vandy is EXPENSIVE.  I imagine housing in Nashville is pricier than Tuscaloosa and Birmingham as well.  Definetly has the best rep of the three, for sure.

Alabama is accredited by the AALS (Samford is not), and has a much more diverse set of programs than Samford.  Also keep in mind that Samford is an affiliated school (Baptist, I think) and they tend to be conservative and WASPish.  If you dont dig the homogenous Bible Belt crowd, go to U of A.  If price is a big concern, or you buy into the rankings business, go to U of A.  My opinion is U of A.  The commute to Nashville seems like it would suck, and though B-Ham is closer, I'd go to Alabama.

The best way to figure it out, of course, is to go to each school and judge for yourself.  Good luck.

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 02:25:01 PM »
You sold me.  I somehow always felt that I'd end up going to U of A anyway.  Thanks for your advice!!

:D
One day it was so cold in Chicago that the lawyers had their hands in their own pockets.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 05:10:57 PM »
My wife went to UA and we live in Tuscaloosa.  UA is a great school US News ranks them at 45.  The tuition runs around $7K per year.  Cheap by national standards.  Housing close to campus is pricey for what you get. You need to be competitive to get in because of the large number of aplicants. At least a 160 LSAT and decent grades.

Samford is a little less selective.  You need to bring a fat check book. $20K per year. UA has a bar passage rate around 90% Samford about 85%.  The difference in job opportunity is modestly in favor of UA.

If you are planning to stay in Alabama to practice and you have family obligations, Look at Birmingham School of Law.  I know several students in my section who car pool from Huntsville and Decatur for night classes.  The bar passage rate is lower but it is cheap and if you make good grades you will pass the bar.  Those that don't pass are often not really interested in the practice of law.

Your other two options in Alabama are Miles and Jones.  Jones is high for a non-ABA school. Miles has a bar pass rate below 10%.

I would be glad to answer any questions for you.

Good Luck.
visit www.lawschoolafterdark.com

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 09:49:49 PM »
I think UA is my #1 choice, of course I'll apply to a bunch of schools.  I wouldn't mind going to Birmingham School of Law though, but the price is pretty up-there.  I do plan to go full-time during the day.

I've heard some good stuff about Jones but they're non-ABA.  I'm assuming you go part-time (I could be wrong).  At least I got that impression somewhere, either here or on your web site (which I am a member of).

Why can't Huntsville have a damn law school??!!  Too many engineers I guess.

I appreciate your advice.  I will use it to make a better, informed decision.

Thank you very much.

RF

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »
I also replied to your other question on LSAD. I am on a full time three year graduation plan. BSL has three and four year plans.  Three more things about BSL. 

1. You can start Spring, Summer, or Fall term.  Fall probably works best for flow of classes.

2. It is cheaper than any other school in the Southeast. If you take the  4 class plan to graduate in three years,  you will pay aprox. $3700 per year for three terms.  UA is about $7,000 for two terms per year.  Samford is over $20k, and Jones is $12K.  UA is very very cheap for a top 50 school. I am not sure about tuition at Miles.  They are kind of a closed society.  Hard to get much info.

3. If you go to UA or Samford you are not allowed to work first year. Some UA 1L students work but keep it quiet but it is frowned on by students and admin. If I am not mistaken working during 1L is an honor code issue ay UA

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 10:39:09 AM »
What if I also want to practice in FL?

???

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 04:32:16 PM »
I am an undergrad at the UA I have been to the James E. Rogers College of Law Library and I have research the premisis and the opportunities. In short you made the right decision. The rate is very cheap but it is a top tier Law School (it ranks higher than 45 btw)
one of the cheapest in the country with out sacrificing talent and faculty. UA was just given a law award that is that of the equivelance of the Nobel Prize for a law program... this award is given to very very few schools so good choice (by the way I am Ivy bound so don't think that I am too biased towards the UA just becasue I live and go to school here.) Good luck fututre UA 1L law student.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

Dante Hicks

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whatchoo lookin at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 05:00:40 PM »
Thanks Ivy_Hopeful!

:D

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 08:22:58 PM »
Does UA have any asians at the law school, I am kind of worried about diversity issues at law school in conservative areas like Alabama.  Would I, as an Asian, have any trouble finding a job as a lawyer in Alabama?
Thanks