Law School Discussion

Ass't Dean Vs. Dean of Admissions

Ass't Dean Vs. Dean of Admissions
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:18:44 AM »
I'm trying to write a Letter of Continued Interest to a school I'm on the wait list for, and want to include any Admissions staff person relevant to the process.  The school's website only has listed an Assistant Dean of Admissions, and from everything I've read about the school, that is the highest staff person in Admissions. Just out of curiosity, do some schools just have an Assistant Dean of Admissions? I find it kind of strange that person wouldn't just be called the Dean of Admissions if they were the highest up in the department... ??? Secondly, would you send the Letter of Continued interest to just the Dean of Admissions, or would you also include the Dean? 

Re: Ass't Dean Vs. Dean of Admissions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:46:49 AM »
I hope someone can respond before tomorrow am. I have a great letter written, which I want to mail off tomorrow, I just need some advice on the best people in Admissions to send it to. I read in another post you should Fedex a letter to the Dean of Admissions, the Dean, and anyone in the Admissions department. Isn't that going a little overboard? 

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:48:48 AM »
At some schools, the head of admissions is the assistant dean of admissions. At others, it's the dean of admissions. Others just have an admissions director. Just send it to whoever is listed on the Web site. I don't think it matters who you send it to - unless it's a small school, I would doubt the person would receive it directly. It'll just go in your file. But I agree about the value in sending it quickly. You also might want to send the letter via e-mail to the main admissions e-mail address.

oxman

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:43:30 AM »
As for the confusion regarding "asst dean of admissions" -- I think that some law schools like having just one dean, the head person for the school.  Thus, all other deans for specific departments, even thought they may be in charge of those departments, are necessarily called "assistant dean."  This is my understanding...I'm just regurgitating what someone posted in a thread a while ago.

George JeffersonČ

• Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:51:45 AM »
I'm trying to write a Letter of Continued Interest to a school I'm on the wait list for, and want to include any Admissions staff person relevant to the process.  The school's website only has listed an Assistant Dean of Admissions, and from everything I've read about the school, that is the highest staff person in Admissions. Just out of curiosity, do some schools just have an Assistant Dean of Admissions? I find it kind of strange that person wouldn't just be called the Dean of Admissions if they were the highest up in the department... ??? Secondly, would you send the Letter of Continued interest to just the Dean of Admissions, or would you also include the Dean? 

If your letter is "signed" by a member of the adcomm, maybe you should simply reply to that person.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 08:52:58 AM »

If your letter is "signed" by a member of the adcomm, maybe you should simply reply to that person.

I agree.