Law School Discussion

How far is too far?

lkny

How far is too far?
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »
I know that location is important in choosing a law school. I want to eventually work in NYC or DC. On top of schools in the area I applied to a few schools like UConn which are 1.5-2 hour drives away from those cities. Is that too far?

D. Boon

Re: How far is too far?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 10:44:56 AM »
No.  I don't think a two hour drive is too far.  If UCONN is among the best schools you applied to then all of you schools are going to be regional.  UCONN, from what I know, would be considered to be within the region for NYC purposes despite it being located in Hartford (UCONN Law in Hartford?).

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
Too far for what?

If you are asking if living a 2 hour drive away from where you work is too far, then I would say yes.  I live a 30-45 minute drive from work right now, and if I have my druthers, I won't live but 15 minutes (during rushhour traffic) from work again.

If you're asking if NYC and DC firms will interview at UConn and similar schools, distance doesn't matter that much, as they'll recruit at schools on the west coast.  Instead use the http://www.nalpdirectory.com/ site to check which of the larger firms recruit at that school.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »
Not to scare you, but Connecticutt students sometimes have trouble pentrating the NYC job market because it's just super competitive.  Plus, I know that some NYC law students are forced to look for jobs in Connecticutt and New Jersey because the NYC law firms don't want them.  I lived with a Fordham 3L.  He was in the middle of his class, and was forced to take a job in Stamford, Connecticutt.   No NYC firm would take him.

lkny

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 02:02:43 PM »
Sorry, I meant too far for consideration for hire.
I certianly wouldn't be able to spend 3-4 hours a day commuting. I would have to find a place nearby. Anyway, judging from the link Felsen posted, it looks like UConn is not a good idea if I want to work in NYC. It looks like my best bet is to go somewhere within commuting distance (under 45 minutes).