Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U.S. News Report's rankings are 40% worthless...  (Read 4304 times)

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: U.S. News Report's rankings are 40% worthless...
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 11:02:09 PM »
Seriously look at their criteria:

Quality Assessment (weighted by .40)
Peer Assessment Score (.25)
In the fall of 2005, law school deans, deans of academic affairs, the chair of faculty appointments, and the most recently tenured faculty members were asked to rate programs on a scale from "marginal" (1) to "outstanding" (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know." A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school. About 67 percent of those surveyed responded.

Assessment Score by Lawyers/Judges (.15)
In the fall of 2005, legal professionals, including the hiring partners of law firms, state attorneys general, and selected federal and state judges, were asked to rate programs on a scale from "marginal" (1) to "outstanding" (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know." A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school. About 26 percent of those surveyed responded.

Selectivity (weighted by .25)
Median LSAT Scores (.125)
The median of the scores on the Law School Admissions Test of the 2005 entering class of the full-time J.D. program.

Median Undergrad GPA (.10)
The median of the undergraduate grade point average of the 2005 entering class of the full-time J.D. program.

Acceptance Rate (.025)
The proportion of applicants to the full-time program who were accepted for entry into the 2005 entering class.

Placement Success (weighted by .20)
Employment Rates for Graduates
The employment rates for 2004 graduating class. Graduates who are working or pursuing graduate degrees are considered employed. Those graduates not seeking jobs are excluded. Employment rates are measure at graduation (.04) and nine months after graduation (.14). For the nine-month employment rate, 25 percent of those whose status is unknown are counted as employed.

Bar Passage Rate (.02)
The ratio of the school's bar passage rate of the 2004 graduating class to that jurisdiction's overall state bar passage rate for first-time test takers in summer 2004 and winter 2005. The jurisdiction listed is the state where the largest number of 2004 graduates took the state bar exam.

Faculty Resources (weighted by .15)
Expenditures Per Student

The average expenditures per student for the 2004 and 2005 fiscal years. The average instruction, library, and supporting services (.0975) are measured, as are all other items, including financial aid (.015).

Student/Faculty Ratio (.03)

The ratio of students to faculty members for the fall 2005 class, using the American Bar Association definition.

Library Resources (.0075)

The total number of volumes and titles in the school's law library at the end of the 2005 fiscal year.

See how 40% of the damn rankings are simply what others think of the school?  Bar passage rates and employment statistics are collectively given only half of that.

Unfortunately though, they have a monopoly on the market of rankings so they can pretty much do whatever they want, and people (including lawyers and future lawyers who should be more skeptical of things like this) take these rankings for 100% accuracy and truth

which school are you going to that dropped in the rankings?

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 11:52:35 PM »
actually it moved up 13 spots...

i'm just pointing out that it's a stupid system

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 02:41:56 AM »

right

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 03:39:25 AM »

Any system that lumps all the schools together in one overall ranking will be flawed. What makes US News so important is us. Since we care, and law schools care, their rankings are given importance.

When considering a law school, people should look at what their goals are, and go to the school that will help them best accomplish that, rather than just worrying about what ranking the school will be the next year.

Karl Pilkington

• Sr. Citizen
  • Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 10:34:12 AM »
IMO I think 80% of the score should be on what LAWYERS and ACADEMICS think of the school.  These are the people in charge of hiring and the people you will be associated most with for the rest of your life.  In fact -- putting 20% on employment rate is complete crap for the T10 because all are like 98%+.  Thus, it magnifies insignificant differences.  I really only look at the reputation rankings of the schools when using USNWR.

TITCR. Employment stats (and several other categories) can be easily manipulated by the schools. I care more about what "other people" think of the school, since those "other people"  are the ones who will be deciding whether to give me a job/clerkship.

guyminuslife

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 02:59:04 AM »
Do you need US News ranking mythology to know that Suffolk and New England School of law are not as prestigious as BC, Boston U and that BC and BU are not as prestigious as Harvard?

Actually, considering that I don't come from anywhere remotely near New England, before I started researching law schools I had no idea that any of those law schools, with the exception of Harvard, even existed. I suppose someone from Boston wouldn't have any idea about the relative rankings of UT, SMU, Baylor, UH, South Texas, and Texas Wesleyan. (Prestige in descending order, FYI.) Large public schools everyone's heard of have law programs; I know Florida is warmer than Minnesota but how do their law schools compare? USC versus UCLA versus, I don't know, Pepperdine? GWU versus American? Where's the first place to look to get a rough estimate? U.S. News.

So there's a role for it. It should be taken with a grain of salt, but it is useful.