Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Anyone else a Paralegal?

Yes
No
What's a Paralegal?

Author Topic: Anyone else a Paralegal?  (Read 641 times)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else a Paralegal?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 11:13:48 PM »
the law? a paralegal isn't a paralegal unless employed by a lawyer or agency. Education is optional...meaning that someone without a paralegal degree has as much or more of a chance at employment with a lawyer (the lawyer could be expected to offer a lower starting wage.)

Ah, that is what you were talking about. Yeah, paralegal doesn't actually exist because no law in any state regulates paralegals as of yet. Like you said, if a lawyer highers someone and wants to call them a paralegal, then they can, there is no regulation like say for a cpa or a nurse or whatever. But, most lawyers will not higher someone as a paralegal unless they have the education and experience behind them. And even then, they may not. It is a weird thing.

Paralegals most certainly do exist in the law.  Paralegals can merely function as a secretary or paralegals can function (as far as the work they do) as attorney's without giving legal advice.  It's in NY law- paralegal's, ethics, etc..

you have paralegal ethics in a NY statute? that is news to me. I know that NALA and NFPA have their own paralegal ethics, I think the aba has some through their standing committee on paralegals and prolly some state bar's do too, but I didn't think it was in any law.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

lsatflunkie

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 11:18:54 PM »
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

lsatflunkie

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
yeah, the funny thing is, by state paralegal ethics definition, I am a paralegal. However, the paralegal ethics definition does not jive with state law.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 11:22:34 PM »
http://www.nysba.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Attorney_Resources/Practice_Management/Paralegal_Information1/Paralegal_Information.htm 

That's just a link for the NYS Bar Association.

that's cool, my state kind of ignores paralegals.

Which state?

massachusetts. we have a small handful of aba-approved paralegal programs in the state, and even most lawyers are still generally confused about what exactly a paralegal is. I interned for one once who gave me only secreterial stuff to do, it sucked.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 11:27:22 PM »
http://www.nysba.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Attorney_Resources/Practice_Management/Paralegal_Information1/Paralegal_Information.htm 

That's just a link for the NYS Bar Association.

that's cool, my state kind of ignores paralegals.

Which state?

massachusetts. we have a small handful of aba-approved paralegal programs in the state, and even most lawyers are still generally confused about what exactly a paralegal is. I interned for one once who gave me only secreterial stuff to do, it sucked.

Well, it depends on one's level of experience.  There are plenty of paralegals out there who do function as secretaries and there are paralegals who have their own secretary's. 

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 11:28:47 PM »
lol, usually the lawyer's big question when interviewing is, "How fast can you type?"

Dude, I didn't attend secretarial school......
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 11:36:20 PM »
lol, usually the lawyer's big question when interviewing is, "How fast can you type?"

Dude, I didn't attend secretarial school......

no *&^%!!!  :-\ first day on the job with that lady lawyer she wanted me to rearrange all her files...yeah right, lol.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 12:27:45 AM »
Perhaps, different states have different attitudes toward paralegals.  I haven't typed as a "typist" ever- I have a dictaphone that I dictate letters, etc. to the secretary.    When I'm drafting a lengthy affidavit or something that requires more in depth legal writing, I'll type onto my screen myself- b/c this way, I can edit/copy/paste paragraphs for organizational purposes quicker.  It's easier that way. In fact, a lot of attorney's these days do this type of drafting, especially when you're working on something that was similar to something you've drafted previously- it's just easier to cut & paste from one motion to the next. I know where I saved it- I know exactly which sections apply. It just makes it easier.  In matrimonial law, a lot of the motions are the same case to case- just the facts change a bit.