Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Anyone else a Paralegal?

Yes
No
What's a Paralegal?

Author Topic: Anyone else a Paralegal?  (Read 654 times)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
Anyone else a Paralegal?
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »
I know there are at least a few others on LSD who are. Don't be shy now!  I'll start. I'm a paralegal for a solo attorney doing real estate, tax, estates and small biz law (contracts and stuff), but mainly real estate, it all ties into that. Yeah, nothing all that exciting, but there it is.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

lsatflunkie

Re: Anyone else a Paralegal?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:48:33 PM »
Matrimonial/Family Law- in New York.  I've been in this specialty for longer than most of you have driven a car ;)  It's an interesting field, emotional and sad, but can be fulfilling. It's also where I will be after LS- in fact, I'll be at my current firm.

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:55:30 PM »
yeah, sort of. I have a $20K diploma that says I am. State law says I'm not.
Anyway, I have been preparing tax returns, and also do a little paralegal work for those acting pro se.

I figure if the lawyers can't afford to hire a paralegal, then the paralegal can't afford to hire lawyers.
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »
Anyway, I have been preparing tax returns, and also do a little paralegal work for those acting pro se.

I figure if the lawyers can't afford to hire a paralegal, then the paralegal can't afford to hire lawyers.

Really, which state? i didn't think any state regulated paralegals yet. Although I think one or two have a paralegal registration of sorts...california i think? enlighten me. 
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

lsatflunkie

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:57:53 PM »

what state? and what law?

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:03:16 PM »
the law? a paralegal isn't a paralegal unless employed by a lawyer or agency. Education is optional...meaning that someone without a paralegal degree has as much or more of a chance at employment with a lawyer (the lawyer could be expected to offer a lower starting wage.)
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
Hopeflly soon!
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Fidelio

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
paralegal?

yah what is that?  ???

;D
 ;)
 :)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:06:34 PM »
the law? a paralegal isn't a paralegal unless employed by a lawyer or agency. Education is optional...meaning that someone without a paralegal degree has as much or more of a chance at employment with a lawyer (the lawyer could be expected to offer a lower starting wage.)

Ah, that is what you were talking about. Yeah, paralegal doesn't actually exist because no law in any state regulates paralegals as of yet. Like you said, if a lawyer highers someone and wants to call them a paralegal, then they can, there is no regulation like say for a cpa or a nurse or whatever. But, most lawyers will not higher someone as a paralegal unless they have the education and experience behind them. And even then, they may not. It is a weird thing.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 11:10:21 PM »

Ah, that is what you were talking about. Yeah, paralegal doesn't actually exist because no law in any state regulates paralegals as of yet. Like you said, if a lawyer highers someone and wants to call them a paralegal, then they can, there is no regulation like say for a cpa or a nurse or whatever. But, most lawyers will not higher someone as a paralegal unless they have the education and experience behind them. And even then, they may not. It is a weird thing.

Paralegals most certainly do exist in the law.  Paralegals can merely function as a secretary or paralegals can function (as far as the work they do) as attorney's without giving legal advice.  It's in NY law- paralegal's, ethics, etc..