Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which pre-law/law school related books have you read that you would recommend to others?

Planet Law School
 26 (21%)
Law School for Dummies
 2 (1.6%)
Law School Confidential
 34 (27.4%)
Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams
 1 (0.8%)
Slaying the Law School Dragon
 2 (1.6%)
Woman's Guilde To Law School
 0 (0%)
1L
 22 (17.7%)
Grisham Novels
 6 (4.8%)
The Complete Law School Companion
 3 (2.4%)
So You Want to Be a Lawyer
 0 (0%)
How to Get Into the Top Law Schools (Montauk)
 3 (2.4%)
JD Jungle
 1 (0.8%)
Learning Legal Reasoning (Delaney)
 7 (5.6%)
Law School 101: Survival Techniques
 3 (2.4%)
Post below with other suggestion
 3 (2.4%)
Lure of the Law
 1 (0.8%)
Acing your First Year of Law School
 3 (2.4%)
Getting to Maybe
 6 (4.8%)
1,000 Days to the Bar
 1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 30, 2006, 10:00:12 PM

Author Topic: Pre-law books  (Read 2393 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-law books
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 03:39:31 PM »
poll edited.  Sorry LawProf, but I could only think of 17 books off the top of my head. 

Your options were added.

ShadowDancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 04:22:30 PM »
What about Bridging the Gap Between College and Law school? It was written by two people who worked in academic support services at a law school. The book covers briefing case, outlining, notetaking, exams, etc.
Attending: NYU ($$$)!
In: Miami ($$$$), Georgetown, George Mason, American, W&M ($$), Rugers-N ($$), Temple ($$$), WNEC ($$$$), Columbia

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 04:29:26 PM »
I just re-discovered my copy of LSC and I got a copy of Law School for Dummies a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how useful they'll be, but I suppose it's better than nothing.
Who's your Daddy now?

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 06:22:24 PM »

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 06:26:20 PM »
I am just curious about what you all thought was valuable and what you would recommend to others.  There is a lot of talk about these books, and I know many of you have read them.  Hopefully, our opinions can help the new crop of lawyer wannabes coming on this site in the coming months. 

Thanks in advance for your input everyone!

one more to add to this list is Broken Contract by Kahlenberg.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »
No joke.  To tell you the truth, I rather enjoy what I do right now (computer programming).  The trouble is, I can't make a living doing that and compete with programmers in India and China and Russia who can do what I do (even if it's not as well) at a third of my billing rate.

Emory '09

LSN

Logic

• "Keeping South Jersey on the map since 1982."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »
Here's my two cents (more like a buck fifty actually)

How to Get Into the Top Law Schools:  Found this MINIMALLY helpful at best.  The guy had a lot of things in there that I simply don't agree with or have seen mounds of evidence to the contrary (sorry, can't recall any specifics as I read this early September).  Also, I feel like a good chunk of the book was copied-pasted from his other How to Get Into the Top Business Schools book.  There were a few places that even said "business school" where it was obviously supposed to be "law school."  That really pissed me off.  It was hard to take much of what he had to say seriously after that.  Plus, I can't describe why, but the dude just looked like a total a-hole.

One L  More of an entertaining read, and from what I've heard, an extreme case of how bad first year can be.  It was an easy read and I reccomend this to everyone.

Law School For Dummies  Despite the ironic title I found this to be a pretty good buy.  Has a lot of info, covering studying for the LSAT all the way to looking for a job.  A great place to start for the clueless (like me) and is also very recent (I think the author graduated in '03 or '04).

Princeton Review's The Top 159 Law Schools:  This is not worth buying, but definitely worth checking out for anyone still deciding between schools.  It was just put out this year and each two-page profile of the school is based primarily on student surveys.  Definitely head over to Barnes 'n Noble and glance at your school, very informative.

That's all folks.
GW Class of '09

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 03:07:55 PM »
Did anyone else notice that the author of PLS spends a lot of time blabbing about nothing important in order to stretch out the length of the book?  He also spends page after page arguing with his detractors and being just plain bitter. 

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 03:26:08 PM »
Should You Really Be A Lawyer?

I really want to hit people like this.  Um, yeah, I know other fields excite me more.  The problem is, they're dying fields.

They never seem to be able to answer that.

I couldn't agree more  >:(. If I had my 'druthers, I'd be a sociology professor...oh wait! There are already teaming millions of them! Might as well go to law school. What a putz!

Did anyone else notice that the author of PLS spends a lot of time blabbing about nothing important in order to stretch out the length of the book?  He also spends page after page arguing with his detractors and being just plain bitter. 

I wanted to believe in that book, but I can't rationally defend it anymore, especially after going from PLS I to PLS II. It's a truly miserable read that could've (and should've) been condensed to exactly one chapter.

I also thought Law School Confidential was fairly useless, too..."rainbow highlighting method", wtf is that?! I don't think I could've come up with somethin g more time-consuming and wasteful.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »
The only good thing I learned from PLS and LSC is to start THINKING about how I want to study these subjects. LSC got me fired up and wanting to start LS, PLS made me think the author is a whack-job.