Law School Discussion

"Marriage is for white people" ?

Victor

• View Profile
Re: "Marriage is for white people" ?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 09:36:18 AM »
Actually considering the divorce rates marriage isnt for anybody.

And heres a little tidbit . . . . marriage is 90 percent monetarily based.

Source for that data?

Nor would I consider divorce rates valid in claiming marriage isn't for anybody. The failure rates at any venture would rarely make those who find success wish they had not. For instance, the failure rate at starting a successful business would not dishearten those who have done so successfully. Nor would the dropout rate at high schools or colleges (specific or across the board) be a major drawback to those who wish to begin it, or have made it through successfully.

Marriage is a venture that two people make together. In most cases, that venture is made in the good faith that the marriage will work - but in the complexity of human interaction, in growth and change, often these risks will not pay off. It is worth noting that money is often cited as a major source of CONFLICT in relationships, not as the basis for them. When a marriage does fail, it also does not seem to discourage people as a whole - most people in a failed marriage will resume relationships, and many will attempt marriage again.

This speaks to me, at least, that marriage (and I speak of marriage as a 'union' not as a legal institution, because we are discussing marriage/divorce) can be a risky business - but its benefits far outweighs any of its costs. Love, support, encouragement, protection, and the opportunity to form a closer mental, emotional, and physical bond than you would ever otherwise have the opportunity.

I'm sorry but I dont believe in fairy tales, I'm strange that way.

Data? Its common sense. Look back to ancient times . . . does dowry ring a bell? Its still prevalent today.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 09:46:37 AM »

I heard that 53% of all statistics are made up...  ;D

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »

I heard that 53% of all statistics are made up...  ;D

Thats just my strong opinion that everyone should agree with.

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 10:01:06 AM »

Data? Its common sense. Look back to ancient times . . . does dowry ring a bell? Its still prevalent today.

I find it interesting that you don't believe in fairly tales, and yet your 'statistics' are nothing but the fancy that rolls of the front of your mind at the time.

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 10:26:17 AM »

I find it interesting that you don't believe in fairly tales, and yet your 'statistics' are nothing but the fancy that rolls of the front of your mind at the time.

Lets just agree to disagree.

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »
Sounds good, but I think you should know, 90 percent of the time, I'm right.  ;D Get it?