Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown double secret super waitlist  (Read 10457 times)

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown double secret super waitlist
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 05:44:35 AM »
Bonkers, I'm also on the "non-preferred, preferred" part... which makes me feel distinctly less special than the waitlist letter tells me I should.  :D   :-[

I know... but now that I've had a few hours to think about it, I received my PWL letter in December... so it's possible that when they created the preferred preferred waitlist -- let's say, in March -- they selected certain people on the PWL to move over to the PPWL, since the PPWL didn't exist earlier in the cycle.

It could happen...

If they do that you're as good a candidate as any, given your new Feb. LSAT.   I am actually surprised Gtown didn't just kick me to the curb initially, and was pleasantly surprised by the "preferred" waitlisting- perhaps it IS about more than #'s.  Oh well, I'd be even happier to get un-waitlisted at Michigan than at Gtown, but I'll certainly take the possibility of either.
i like complicated :)

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 09:37:06 AM »
What does the letter say to indicate that you all are on the "preferred preferred" waitlist?

magnumalv

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
It's in the OP:

Basically you can distinguish the latter letter because it says at the end that "this is the first year we have created this group" and that they "anticipate more seats opening up." Anyone else in this group with me? I like our chances at this point. 

magnumalv

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 10:36:37 AM »
How possible do you think it would be to receive any sort of fin aid coming off of the waitlist

B! howdy.  ;D

I'm thinking need-based would be a def. possibility, but prolly not merit.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
This is possibly the stupidest thing I've heard of this entire cycle. I hope G-town gets yield screwed hard.

WinnieCooper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 09:48:39 PM »
This is possibly the stupidest thing I've heard of this entire cycle. I hope G-town gets yield screwed hard.

HAHHAHAHA.  Yeah, I agree.

Also, I am not sure this means anything.  I spoke with Sophia Sim in February and mentioned the different versions of the preferred waitlist letter (my roommate and I are both applying to law school and both applied to Gtown), and she told me that the letter was revised after the EA decisions went out.  Decisions on who to pull off the list will be made when they discover how the incoming class is shaping up. I took this to mean that if the stats of the new class show the median #s are too low on the LSAT or GPA side, they don't have enough URMS, enough women, enough out-of-towners, etc. they will pull people off the waitlist who can help fill these "holes."

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2006, 10:11:17 PM »
hey Maggs, Is that your boyfriend in the picture (on the left) with the wig on??  That's hilarious, you gotta have some balls to take a picture like that with your girlfriend or friend.  Whoever it is, tell him that I give him props for taking that picture. 
"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 10:25:37 PM »
March 29, 2006

"The committee on Admissions has reviewed your application and has placed your name on our Preferred Waiting List.

Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available. Offers of admission to waiting list candidates may be made up until registration day in August.

Although the number varies from year to year, typically fifty places open for waiting list candidates, some as late as registration day. Should a decision to admit you be made earlier, however, we will contact you right away. Please be advised that applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are not ranked.

We realize that your circumstances may change in the coming months. An e-mail will be sent to you in May asking you to reconfirm your interest and update your contact information. Meanwhile, please update us on any approaching deadlines you may be facing. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, please e-mail us at admis@law.georgetown.edu. On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown."

Penn (2007)

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2006, 10:39:59 PM »
Is this one the preferred preferred waitlist? I received a preferred waitlist letter that doesn't specify the number of openings in a given year. It actually was a nicer letter than the acceptances I received, making me want to go to GULC even more than I did before.

March 29, 2006

"The committee on Admissions has reviewed your application and has placed your name on our Preferred Waiting List.

Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available. Offers of admission to waiting list candidates may be made up until registration day in August.

Although the number varies from year to year, typically fifty places open for waiting list candidates, some as late as registration day. Should a decision to admit you be made earlier, however, we will contact you right away. Please be advised that applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are not ranked.

We realize that your circumstances may change in the coming months. An e-mail will be sent to you in May asking you to reconfirm your interest and update your contact information. Meanwhile, please update us on any approaching deadlines you may be facing. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, please e-mail us at admis@law.georgetown.edu. On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown."

Georgetown

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2006, 10:44:22 PM »
I'm not aware of the existence of a 3rd waitlist, or of a subsection of the preferred waitlists. This is what I received, and I trust it is accurate ... until proven otherwise. No mention in there of "new list created this year" or anyting of the such.
Penn (2007)