Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown double secret super waitlist  (Read 10614 times)

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown double secret super waitlist
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 05:55:57 AM »
I'm not aware of the existence of a 3rd waitlist, or of a subsection of the preferred waitlists. This is what I received, and I trust it is accurate ... until proven otherwise. No mention in there of "new list created this year" or anyting of the such.

This is the exact letter that I received from GULC as well.  I got this letter in Mid-Jan, so perhaps earlier than most here.  I'm skeptical of this preferred preferred list...but maybe that's because I don't want to believe it.

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006, 10:14:41 AM »
March 29, 2006

"The committee on Admissions has reviewed your application and has placed your name on our Preferred Waiting List.

Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available. Offers of admission to waiting list candidates may be made up until registration day in August.

Although the number varies from year to year, typically fifty places open for waiting list candidates, some as late as registration day. Should a decision to admit you be made earlier, however, we will contact you right away. Please be advised that applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are not ranked.

We realize that your circumstances may change in the coming months. An e-mail will be sent to you in May asking you to reconfirm your interest and update your contact information. Meanwhile, please update us on any approaching deadlines you may be facing. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, please e-mail us at admis@law.georgetown.edu. On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown."

I'm pretty sure this is the letter I got as well, but I can't find my letter (!)
I applied RD, went complete in February...It sounds like most of the differences in letter wording can be attributed to the time frame in which you received it. Also, if there was a "preferred preferred" waitlist in early March, that doesn't mean there necessarily is one now, or that the same people are on it, since on this board alone many have stated that they have withdrawn from the WL and the PWL. More will doubtless withdraw by the end of this month. I was despairing of getting into other, higher-ranked schools when I received my GULC notification (PWL), but, again, just going by this board, a non-acceptance at GULC not necessarily = to rejection at other T14's. If I get into Penn or NYU I will withdraw from GULC>
Michigan Law Class of 2009

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006, 10:26:15 AM »
I applied late, heard back in March, and received the other PWL letter, with the mention of this being the first time it's ever been tried.

March 29, 2006

"The committee on Admissions has reviewed your application and has placed your name on our Preferred Waiting List.

Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like to include in our first year class. These applicants have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available. Offers of admission to waiting list candidates may be made up until registration day in August.

Although the number varies from year to year, typically fifty places open for waiting list candidates, some as late as registration day. Should a decision to admit you be made earlier, however, we will contact you right away. Please be advised that applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are not ranked.

We realize that your circumstances may change in the coming months. An e-mail will be sent to you in May asking you to reconfirm your interest and update your contact information. Meanwhile, please update us on any approaching deadlines you may be facing. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, please e-mail us at admis@law.georgetown.edu. On behalf of the Committee, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in Georgetown."

I'm pretty sure this is the letter I got as well, but I can't find my letter (!)
I applied RD, went complete in February...It sounds like most of the differences in letter wording can be attributed to the time frame in which you received it. Also, if there was a "preferred preferred" waitlist in early March, that doesn't mean there necessarily is one now, or that the same people are on it, since on this board alone many have stated that they have withdrawn from the WL and the PWL. More will doubtless withdraw by the end of this month. I was despairing of getting into other, higher-ranked schools when I received my GULC notification (PWL), but, again, just going by this board, a non-acceptance at GULC not necessarily = to rejection at other T14's. If I get into Penn or NYU I will withdraw from GULC>
Georgetown

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006, 10:55:29 AM »
Bonkers, I'm also on the "non-preferred, preferred" part... which makes me feel distinctly less special than the waitlist letter tells me I should.  :D   :-[

I know... but now that I've had a few hours to think about it, I received my PWL letter in December... so it's possible that when they created the preferred preferred waitlist -- let's say, in March -- they selected certain people on the PWL to move over to the PPWL, since the PPWL didn't exist earlier in the cycle.

It could happen...

Bonkers, have you gotten back in touch with GULC since receiving that letter? (sorry if you've answered the question elsewhere.) The reason I ask is, GULC is one of the T14s that must care most about its yield. They jerk us around alot because they are kind of being jerked around as well--it's a safety for some people, sickening as that is, and some of them don't withdraw right away when they get into higher-ranked schools because they are waiting on $$$ decisions. So, all of that being the case, it must mean alot to them when they are making waitlist decisions if they know that some people are drooling at the thought of attending GULC, versus just curious to see if they get in or not...If you haven't done so already, you should send them a kick-ass letter of continued interest.

By the way, is your avatar that guy Tony Almeda from 24, or do you just bear a striking resemblence to him?

joespecial

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »
I Priority Mailed Gtown a letter of continuing interest, mentioning my new LSAT score the day I got it, at the end of February. I should probably contact them again.

The avatar is Adam Brody, adorkable star of the OC, my str8 soulmate!

magnumalv

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2006, 05:48:54 PM »
This is not the same waitlist letter that I received.

March 29, 2006

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2006, 06:02:36 PM »
I Priority Mailed Gtown a letter of continuing interest, mentioning my new LSAT score the day I got it, at the end of February. I should probably contact them again.

The avatar is Adam Brody, adorkable star of the OC, my str8 soulmate!

Yeah, I think you could write them another letter--alot of shifting around happens in April I guess, so it wouldn't hurt to reassure them know that you still *heart* them...GULC is kind of like Veronica in the movie Heathers (HYS being the Heathers).

magnumalv

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 06:03:39 PM »
Dear X,

The Committee on Admissions has reviewd your application and has placed your name on our Preferred Waiting List.

Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like very much to include in our first year class. However, due to an unprecedented volume of highly qualified applicants, the Committee was forced to make some very tough choices. Your application was especially difficult, and, based upon the strength of your application, the Committee has identified you as one of the first applicants we will contact in the event of an opening.

I recognized that you are in the process of making decisions and waiting for spaces to open will be difficult. This is an unusual year and making predictions is hazardous at best. My best guess, however, is that there will be some openings. Our first deposit is due May 1, although it is possible that we will have opneings prior to May. In order to make this process as smooth as possible, Name, Title, will serve as your direct contact. Please respond to her by email at Email Address to let her know of your interest in remaining part of this select group and please keep her abreast of any deadlines or travel plans that you may have.

Having this special group is a new initiative at Georgetown. We plan to send out periodic emails keeping you informed of any developments. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, pelase let us know. Regardless of your decision, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Andrew Cornblatt

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
Yup, that's the one I received.

Dear X,

The Committee on Admissions has reviewd your application and has placed your name on our Preferred Waiting List.

Applicants on the Preferred Waiting List are among those we would like very much to include in our first year class. However, due to an unprecedented volume of highly qualified applicants, the Committee was forced to make some very tough choices. Your application was especially difficult, and, based upon the strength of your application, the Committee has identified you as one of the first applicants we will contact in the event of an opening.

I recognized that you are in the process of making decisions and waiting for spaces to open will be difficult. This is an unusual year and making predictions is hazardous at best. My best guess, however, is that there will be some openings. Our first deposit is due May 1, although it is possible that we will have opneings prior to May. In order to make this process as smooth as possible, Name, Title, will serve as your direct contact. Please respond to her by email at Email Address to let her know of your interest in remaining part of this select group and please keep her abreast of any deadlines or travel plans that you may have.

Having this special group is a new initiative at Georgetown. We plan to send out periodic emails keeping you informed of any developments. If you do not wish to have your application remain under consideration, pelase let us know. Regardless of your decision, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Andrew Cornblatt
Georgetown

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »
Option 2 makes the most sense, but I received my letter last week, so it wasn't eliminated recently. I think we're all reading into it too much, though it's hard not to. I think we all just need to pray for a bunch of openings.

Two possibilities:

1- There are in fact actually 3 distinct waitlists: regular, preferred, and a special preferred. The two letters shown above would correspond to the latter two.

2- There are only 2 waitlists: preferred and regular. The two letters differ in format because GULC revised the content but actually refer to the same waitlist. GULC would have eliminated the info about [name], [title] so that the poor person does not get flooded with inquiries. They would also have eliminated the info about "this is the first years ...", and toned down the appeal of the offer.

Somehow, I believe option #2 is more plausible. Other guesses?
Georgetown