goodgal

• View Profile
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:49:14 PM »

whipped

• View Profile
Re: withdrawing makes me sad
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:51:57 PM »
I'm clearly insane 

And hot, which is a winning combination. So no worries  ;)

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:19:02 PM »
I REALLY REALLY dont wanna withdraw esp since It looks like I'm leaning towars a school I dont really want to go to  :-\
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

aphrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:26:04 PM »
Forgive me the intrusion, but why are you leaning towards a school you don't want to go to?  Spending the next three years of your life going to a school at which you have no desire to be seems like a recipe for misery. What could induce you to do that?

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »
GoodGal,

I felt that that way about some places I applied. Especially the ones that we're really nice on tours and that I liked. I really liked Willamette, but it came down to the simple fact that UIUC could offer me a LOT more options on graduating and in education. I expressed that idea to them in my withdrawal, that I really appreciated the scholarship/opportunity/etc. but that I just couldn't get the kind of future options from them that I could from a tier 1.

That one made me really sad - because it started as my top choice before I'd gotten my LSAT back.

Of course, there are some that I was happy to send.... Lewis and Clark offering me NO scholarship! Withdrawal! Withdrawal!

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 08:03:20 PM »
No reason to be sad.  Practice your negotiation skills; use withdrawing as an opportunity to jerk the schools around for more money that wouldn't even change your mind.  See if you can get a full ride, a stipend, etc.  Make it a game.

Pythagoras

• Sr. Citizen
  • ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »
No reason to be sad.  Practice your negotiation skills; use withdrawing as an opportunity to jerk the schools around for more money that wouldn't even change your mind.  See if you can get a full ride, a stipend, etc.  Make it a game.

Not nice!  :)
ATTENDING: Columbia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pythagoras22

"Ponme la mano aqui, macorina.  Ponme la mano aqui."

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 09:09:50 PM »

eevvilll...
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 09:14:47 PM »
Yeah.  Part of it, for me, is the finality of closing off options.  In some cases, where schools clearly went out of their way to do right by me, I feel genuine disappointment in dinging them.

Of course, there are a few schools that ticked me off for being unhelpful, rude or extremely tardy, in which case my internal response to "We're disappointed" is "Good.  Screw you."  Ah, empowerment.

This is how I feel. I've withdrawn from 4 schools thus far. At one school, the dean sent me an email asking if there was anything he could do to change my decision. I really felt bad.

However, at another school, I felt good "sticking it to them" after they'd disappointed me.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »
I withdrew from Mercer today, and I got really nice notes back from the people there, telling me that while they wished I was coming there, it sounded like I was making the best decision for me.

The world would be a better place if all admissions people were as nice as the ones there, I'll say that for sure.
Emory '09

LSN