Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crime at Duke  (Read 8390 times)

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Crime at Duke
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
what should they be doing?
Emory '09

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »
what should they be doing?

They should suspend every person that was in the house until they agree to fully cooperate with the police.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »

It's not a question of the rape itself so much as it's a question of the school's initial reaction to it.

I agree with those who can't find an issue with the schools initial reaction. They suspended the whole team. Not only does that include the guilty parties and those with knowledge who aren't coming forward, but alos those who may not have knowledge of who did what. What else is the school supposed to do until the authorities have investigated and assembled proof? I think avoiding a knee-jerk reaction and waiting for facts is the only real prudent course of action. The rape and other reports of deplorable behavior were horrible crimes, but to punish those not involved before the facts have been discovered would only compound the wrongs...

I have only heard blips about this here and there. The opinion I have right now is formed from that little information. I may have missed some things. If anyone has seen specific ways the school has mishandled things, please post. I would be interested to hear them.
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »
I never understood why it is the school’s responsibility to handle/ interfere with the personal lives of its students. If this event occurred, it was not at an event anyway associated with the university. We have a legal system, which obviously everyone here believes in, or they wouldn’t be here. Why not let that take its course. I might just bitter because after I got an underage drinking charge, and got it dismissed my university felt the need to hold its separate hearing and found me responsible for an act, which was dismissed by the state. Since when are administrators judges and juries?

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 03:20:01 PM »
i dont blame the team for not coming forward and saying anything and hiring lawyers.  obviously teamates stick up for one another, thats the idea of a 'team'.  

as for athelets getting preferential treatment.  the team is suspended and isnt playing any games currently.  the investigation is going on.  what else is the school supposed to do? expell them all? they dont even know if the accusations are true, and even if they are it was only 3 players.  i just cant figure out the logic in these protests.

umm...it's one thing to "stick up for one another" when someone is accused of something minor, but rape???  excuse me, but i would HOPE that telling the truth about a violent sexual crime would trump any feelings of teammate camaraderie.

I just can't resist the urge to troll here...

Considering this is a board for future lawyers, I have to believe that we can understand the rights of all accused, no matter how white or how rich, to remain silent.  No one has any responsibilty to come forward, particularly those who may or may not have perpetrated the alleged crime.  

I don't begrudge the players one bit for not talking.  It is law enforcement's responsibilty to conduct the proper legal procedures, particularly for such a strong charge of rape.  

Further, some parts of this story don't make sense.  Why would the strippers come without bodyguards, especially when they found out there were over 20 guys present?  And how exactly was she talked into coming back to the party even after she found it to be a threat to her safety?  Some things just don't add up.  I'm not saying that a rape didn't happen, but that it is possible things are not all kosher here. 

Ooh, I'm the devil's advocate- literally.  I can't wait for law school.  

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 03:22:47 PM »
If this event occurred, it was not at an event anyway associated with the university.

It involved only Duke students and the alleged event happened ON Duke property in a house OWNED by Duke.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

Pupienus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 03:23:38 PM »
While Duke might have programs to help Durham, this lax story really solidified my feelings towards Duke.  When I visited, I got the impression that Duke is physically, economically, culturally and philosophically seperated from its surrounding community.  The racial and economic dynamics that have played out in the press concerning Duke and Durham have only bolstered this impression of mine.  For me, personally, I want to attend a school that is an active participant in its community and a community that embraces, works with and benefits from the school.  I did not feel Durham and Duke have a symbiotic relationship at all, and thus will certainly pass on Duke.

The issue in the media at least is not the rape itself, not the team, not the University's handling of the situation, but the above; this accusation underlines, italicizes, and highlights the mutual detachment and antagonism between the Duke community and Durham.  I agree completely with this post.

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
If this event occurred, it was not at an event anyway associated with the university.

It involved only Duke students and the alleged event happened ON Duke property in house OWNED by Duke.

I didn't know Duke was in the business of sponsoring stripper parties...

mae8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 03:25:28 PM »
a valid viewpoint.

this will be prosecuted as a b1 felony in nc which carries a minimum sentence of 144 months to a maximum of life in prison. if they committed the crime they will get exactly what they deserve, irregardless of how we judge the schools response.
Emory '09

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 03:26:38 PM »
I've made similar claims on other posts about the rights of the accused.  

Apparently I'm a racist woman hater because I'm not willing to sacrifice the rights of individuals.