Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crime at Duke  (Read 8392 times)

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Crime at Duke
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:36:18 AM »
I am considering going to Duke, but the recent coverage of the rape incident and the schools subsequent handling of the situation has made me reconsider. I get the feeling that Duke is unwelcoming towards minorities. Is anyone having the same misgivings?

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Crime at Duke
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:06:50 AM »
i've heard about this but i dont understand what the protesting is about.  the possibility of the rape/attack having been committed is horrible and the racial slurs that were supposively said early that day are horrible too.

but what are the students protesting against exactly?  the school suspended the team (a national champion contenter), the investigation is pending, i dont know what else the school is supposed to do until more information is available. 

are students protesting how the school is handling the situation cause i dont know what else the school should be doing.  or are they protesting something else?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:10:04 AM »
People don't protest because they want something, they protest because they can.

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:15:04 AM »
From USA Today:

The incident has sparked a series of protests on campus this week. Many of the protesters have said the case is the product of a culture of power and privilege at Duke that protects the wealthy and well-placed, especially athletes, at the expense of others.

I believe there's a bit of frustration that no player has come forward to say anything about what happened. Everyone hired lawyers, which of course is what's expected, but people are starting to think the players are covering up for one another.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:18:45 AM »
One incident makes you think Duke is unwelcoming to minorities? 

I have never heard that at all...

Have you visited yet?  My boss went there, and said his class was very diverse and everyone was friendly.

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »
i've heard about this but i dont understand what the protesting is about.  the possibility of the rape/attack having been committed is horrible and the racial slurs that were supposively said early that day are horrible too.

but what are the students protesting against exactly?  the school suspended the team (a national champion contenter), the investigation is pending, i dont know what else the school is supposed to do until more information is available. 

are students protesting how the school is handling the situation cause i dont know what else the school should be doing.  or are they protesting something else?

They could be protesting because Duke (as an overwhelmingly white, affluent school in a predominately African-American, poor area) has long had issues with addressing race and class dynamics. Being a private institution, many people think the administration could be doing a lot more to pressure the students involved to co-operate with the investigation.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 10:28:43 AM »
i dont blame the team for not coming forward and saying anything and hiring lawyers.  obviously teamates stick up for one another, thats the idea of a 'team'.  

i cant speak for the environment at duke, but i cant help but think that they cant do anything to drastically change the situation.  first of all it is duke, so its a good school at costs like 40k a year.  obviously its going to attract alot of rich, white kids, i dont know what you do about that.  its like that at alot of schools.  walk around harvard, yale, stanford, etc. its mostly rich white kids, not only cause the schools are so expensive but for a number of other reasons too.

i dont approve of what has happened at duke but i still dont fully grasp what the student body thinks that their protests are going to do.  after all, in my experience it is the student body, not the administration which is responsible for on campus racial integration.  if the student body segregates all the black students from the white students and creates different groups on campus, its not the schools fault but the student bodies fault.  

as for athelets getting preferential treatment.  the team is suspended and isnt playing any games currently.  the investigation is going on.  what else is the school supposed to do? expell them all? they dont even know if the accusations are true, and even if they are it was only 3 players.  i just cant figure out the logic in these protests.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
Being a private institution, many people think the administration could be doing a lot more to pressure the students involved to co-operate with the investigation.
[/quote]

i dont think its the schools place to interfere with a police investigation.  this is why all the players have lawyers.  the school shouldnt be presuring them, this is the job of the police.  the school is a bunch of academic administrators, not crime fighting detectives.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:32:15 AM »
i dont blame the team for not coming forward and saying anything and hiring lawyers.  obviously teamates stick up for one another, thats the idea of a 'team'.  

i cant speak for the environment at duke, but i cant help but think that they cant do anything to drastically change the situation.  first of all it is duke, so its a good school at costs like 40k a year.  obviously its going to attract alot of rich, white kids, i dont know what you do about that.  its like that at alot of schools.  walk around harvard, yale, stanford, etc. its mostly rich white kids, not only cause the schools are so expensive but for a number of other reasons too.

i dont approve of what has happened at duke but i still dont fully grasp what the student body thinks that their protests are going to do.  after all, in my experience it is the student body, not the administration which is responsible for on campus racial integration.  if the student body segregates all the black students from the white students and creates different groups on campus, its not the schools fault but the student bodies fault.  

as for athelets getting preferential treatment.  the team is suspended and isnt playing any games currently.  the investigation is going on.  what else is the school supposed to do? expell them all? they dont even know if the accusations are true, and even if they are it was only 3 players.  i just cant figure out the logic in these protests.

I agree. They've already suspended the LAX season. There isn't anything else the Uni adminstration can do until the investigation is complete. I think the incident incited the divide between Duke and its surrounding community, but I'm not seeing how anyone can find fault with the admin on THIS particular incident.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Slow Blues

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »
I am considering going to Duke, but the recent coverage of the rape incident and the schools subsequent handling of the situation has made me reconsider. I get the feeling that Duke is unwelcoming towards minorities. Is anyone having the same misgivings?

In response to this, a black co-worker of mine went to Duke UG and later Fuqua and loved it. Take this anecdotal evidence for what it's worth.