Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools with lousy web sites make me hesitate...  (Read 4810 times)

Monarch heels

• View Profile
Schools with lousy web sites make me hesitate...
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:38:36 AM »
Has anybody considered not going to a school because the school has a crappy web site? 

I'm not talking anything severe like blinking neon pink marquees or dancing Lady Justices or anything.  I mean little things like bad links and outdated info.  It gives me a bad vibe-  if they can't get it together enough to hire a webmaster or can't be bothered to update their pages, what else are they letting slip through the cracks?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Schools with lousy web sites make me hesitate...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:21:02 AM »
give some examples of bad websites.

cyberrev

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
give some examples of bad websites.

ave maria.  the background is horrid, the text is too small to read, and you cant backpage out to lsac, you have to close your browser.  ugh.

deemuu

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:32:25 AM »
Has anybody considered not going to a school because the school has a crappy web site? 

Yup, definitely. It's not a make or break thing for me, but it's just one indicator of how organized they are and their attention to detail.

Rutgers-Newark (http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/main.html), for example, has a sub-par website with some different sections that look straight out of 1995 (http://law-new.rutgers.edu). And then there's this anomaly (http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/search.html).

It's not a deal-breaker, but added together with other stuff it can make a big difference. RU-N's strange website combined with their poorly planned open house just did not inspire confidence.

Then again, NYU's law website isn't so hot either, so it doesn't always mean something.

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:32:30 AM »
I haven't paid toooo much attention to this with law schools, but yes, a bad website generally gives me pause.
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »
The people teaching the law classes aren't the web masters. Nor are the people recruiting at the school the web masters. Visit the school, look at their bar passage rate. The quality of a school's marketing materials do not reflect the quality of education.
Vanderbilt 2010

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 11:08:04 AM »
i thought that cleveland state, ohio northern, and arkansas (little rock) are pretty bad as well.

jashdey

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
I have thought about this; USF's web site is really bad as well.  It did make me wonder what they were thinking, especially considering that it is specifically the law school's web site that sucks (the main university site is decent).

I realize the professors don't necessarily have anything to do with it, but it seems that *someone* there should be aware that the web site is a large source of information for prospective students.  They aren't doing a good job of selling their school with their current version at all.

However, their other communications have been good (once admitted), so maybe they are just technologically stuck in 1995.

MrsABD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:36:51 AM »
i thought that cleveland state, ohio northern, and arkansas (little rock) are pretty bad as well.

I agree...Cleveland States is pretty bad.  Very low tech.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »
miami's is pretty weak as well....

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington