Law School Discussion

Historical Law School rankings (updated with 2007)----Excel Spreadsheet

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
I've posted this on here before, but now it is updated with the newest "2007" (I call 2006) rankings.

Paran0id and I put this together (most of the work by Paran0id).  They are excel spreadsheets of the USWR rankings of the Top 50 schools since the rankings creation.   The sheets include all schools that have ever been in the top 50, and include year by year rankings for all these schools.   There are also sheets that group schools that have only missed the T50 once, and are averaged and ordered over 12, 6, and 3 year spans.   LOTS of info.  Check it out.

Make sure you scroll through all the different spreadsheets by using the arrows at the bottom of excel, there are 12 sheets in total.

http://members.aol.com/stuje1/rank.html

There were three schools that jumped up a spot in their 12 year average based on the newest rankings (although U.S. news began publishing annual rankings in 1990, they didn't publish rankings of schools higher than the top 25 until 1995...hence that is why I started with that year. Plus the older rankings are starting to become meaningless...)  Stanford topped Harvard, UCLA jumped above UCLA and BU moved in front of U Washington. 
To see a full list of the 12 year averages of schools that have consistently been in the top 50, you can download the above excel file, or visit my LSN profile: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=stuje1
The Excel file has much more info though, so I would recommend it.

Bosox

• View Profile
I just ran into this. Its pretty impressive work. Good job!

Re: Historical Law School rankings (updated with 2007)----Excel Spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »
very cool that this is still getting passed around. also saw we made it into some profs blawg.

In the first chart, one of the rankings for UT during the 90s was 29. I assume that was a typo and you meant 19? Thanks for the great work!

Bump because the new list is out. Someone update.

edit: and regarding Texas, I believe 29 is accurate. We double checked these numbers a few times.

Na

I have just updated almost all of the spreadsheets and graphs (the graphs were a couple of years behind, now everything is current). Great job putting together the spreadsheets paran0id, and many thanks to Stuje1 who provided all of the old rankings data.

I'll wrap this up tomorrow after I get in from work. Anyone know where I can host this?

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks a lot Na!  I am really glad that someone was able to go through and update it all.   I can update the file on the link posted in the original post if you want.   Send me a message.

molaw

• it rubs the lotion on its skin
    • View Profile
tag

Na

I finished updating the spreadsheet - Stuje will update his website with the new file. Here are a few general observations for anyone interested:

• No schools entered or left the Top 50 this year (Utah fell out last year and remained at #57; Southern Methodist entered last year and held on at #46).
  • American is the only school in the Top 50 that has not been in the group at least 6 times (2007 marks its 4th time in the first tier).
  • Only 6 schools in the Top 50 have ranked below the first tier more than once: Alabama, American, Florida, George Mason, Maryland, and Southern Methodist.

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Email
UPDATED
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:46:18 PM »
Thanks to the work of Na, the charts and Graphs have been updated.   The file can be found in the same place:  http://members.aol.com/stuje1/rank.html

note: there is one tab that has not been updated, since it is kind of a pain (have to add lots of columns and change the input selection for which columns it uses to compute averages).  If anyone has the time and desire to update, please feel free to and I'll put up the updated version (it is the one tab that says it goes to 2006 instead of 2007).  unfortunately the strains of law school don't give me as much free time to put together US news charts as I had last year.  sigh....