Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much do the NEW rankings matter  (Read 657 times)

fpotus

• View Profile
How much do the NEW rankings matter
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:19:58 AM »
So after deciding on Pitt, results are released and they are falling, specifically behind the other two schools I have gotten into--and withdrawn from. 

so does this even matter.  Should I say screw the rankings and not overanalyze it

maybe I should hang myself b/c I didn't break 170 and am not going to a t-14

either way, I am cheering for the Republicans in the mid-term elections----it seems whomever I cheer for or pick lately ends up losing---so maybe I should just go with it

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much do the NEW rankings matter
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:27:36 AM »
I can't answer your question, but I was wondering....would the ranking at the time you graduate law school matter more than the ranking at the year of entry?

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:43:59 AM »
I can't answer your question, but I was wondering....would the ranking at the time you graduate law school matter more than the ranking at the year of entry?

The ranking when you're a 2L, because that's when you get hired for your 2L summer and that job turns into a permanent job offer for after you graduate.

That makes sense.

But as sombrerocharro says, the school's ranking probably won't change that dramatically over the course of three years as to severely damage the school's reputation.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Look for trends, not fluctuations
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 08:31:47 AM »
Some thoughts...

Outside the T14, rankings matter far less.

That said, they still matter matter a little. While employers don't rush out to see if a school is #60 or #62 in the latest rankings, the tend to know if a school is in the top 50, bottom 50, tier 3, or tier 4. This effect is magnified if you are dealing with an employer who is unfamiliar with your school. If you go to UBuffalo and you're looking for a job in Buffalo, you don't really have to worry about their ranking. If you're looking for a job in Chicago, their ranking does matter. Unfortunately, the USNWR is the most widely distributed ranking system out there, and perception becomes reality.

Don't worry too much about small fluctuations. If a school is 40 one year, then 45 another year, then 43 the third year, that's just statistical noise. Trends, however, matter a great deal. I would argue that a Penn State/ Dickinson diploma is one that is likely to appreciate in value. You have the Dickinson name (with the rep that it had in the Penn. area as a solid second tier, but had slid into third tier) combined with Penn State's massive infusion of cash and desire to make it into a national law school. It has moved from third tier to solid second tier. I would not be surprised if, in ten-fifteen (or more quickly) years, it manages to crack the top 50 (just barely, but still). That's a trend to watch. Then there's the reverse. If you're school trending downwards, that's a serious concern.

In the end, though, they're just numbers. Outside of the T14, you should be picking the school that best suits you, not the ranking.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 09:16:26 AM »

maybe I should hang myself

This is the only part of your post that makes any sense

That was really funny.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 12:53:20 PM »
<<Should I say screw the rankings and not overanalyze it>>

Absolutely.

Also rooting for Republicans in '06 elections. Same reason as you.
Michigan Law Class of 2009