Law School Discussion

NYU vs. Boalt vs. NW vs. Penn

Re: NYU vs. Boalt vs. NW vs. Penn
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:48:13 AM »
Just be careful about the approximated cost to attend NYU- it is my understanding that they vastly underestimate the cost to live in the Village (I went to NYU undergrad and live in the city now).  Look on craigslist to see actual prices if you are thinking about renting.

FYI: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/tuitionaid/loans/lrap.html

I came into admitted students weekend at Northwestern thinking of it as more of a business-y law school, but I was impressed by the number of current and admitted students I talked to that were planning on public interest.  Oh, and when you account for class size, NU's Supreme Court clerkship numbers actually slightly beat NYU.

Good luck wherever you choose!

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 08:51:42 AM »
Just be careful about the approximated cost to attend NYU- it is my understanding that they vastly underestimate the cost to live in the Village (I went to NYU undergrad and live in the city now).  Look on craigslist to see actual prices if you are thinking about renting.

FYI: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/tuitionaid/loans/lrap.html

I came into admitted students weekend at Northwestern thinking of it as more of a business-y law school, but I was impressed by the number of current and admitted students I talked to that were planning on public interest.  Oh, and when you account for class size, NU's Supreme Court clerkship numbers actually slightly beat NYU.

Good luck wherever you choose!

I agree that Northwestern is a great school, but it sounded like you had come down to deciding between NYU and Penn.

yoyos

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 12:07:35 PM »
anymore thoughts?

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 01:38:05 PM »
I have a thought.  Look closely at the NYU LRAP, how much freedom will it really provide you after law school?  How open does it leave your options in terms of types of employment, accumulation of assets, etc?  Then look at the jobs your interested and see if the LRAP will really apply. (I know that it applies in *all* cases, but there's a vast middle income area there where you're not making a lot and still contributing a lot to your loans -- i think it's this area that generally scares the public interest types into the corporate firm for a while).

I think these LRAP programs need a much closer look.  Don't just go, 'NYU has loan repayment, so I'm fine.'

The only loan repayment that seems to provide true freedom to do whatever you want after law school is Yale's.  The others leave your hands tied, at least to some extent.

tsol

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 01:43:45 PM »
I have a thought.  Look closely at the NYU LRAP, how much freedom will it really provide you after law school?  How open does it leave your options in terms of types of employment, accumulation of assets, etc?  Then look at the jobs your interested and see if the LRAP will really apply. (I know that it applies in *all* cases, but there's a vast middle income area there where you're not making a lot and still contributing a lot to your loans -- i think it's this area that generally scares the public interest types into the corporate firm for a while).

I think these LRAP programs need a much closer look.  Don't just go, 'NYU has loan repayment, so I'm fine.'

The only loan repayment that seems to provide true freedom to do whatever you want after law school is Yale's.  The others leave your hands tied, at least to some extent.

that's my thought as well. nyu's loan repayment is generous, for sure, but when i really sat down and did the math, i figured out that working the government (which i think is what i'm most interested) prices me out of it quickly, although does keep me well below a level where i can easily pay off the loans that nyu would require.

so definitely make sure you look closely at it.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 01:47:51 PM »
exactly.

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 09:26:51 AM »
Back to your original post, where you say that you don't like working 40 hours per week and don't know about living in NYC--I think, unless you're going to stay in Cali, Penn may be better for you. I think it's probably less intense of a lifestyle, just by virtue of not being in NY, and I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of life there. Add to that the $$ factor, and it sounds like you could narrow it down to an East Coast/West Coast battle.