Law School Discussion

Paying for school - interesting situation

Paying for school - interesting situation
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »
Here is my situation
I want to go the the best school I've been admitted to.  I didn't get a scholarship there.  I got scholarships to a number of lower ranked schools but want to go to my top choice.  If I don't get married or take my girlfriend with me my dad will pay for everything.  If I do get married or take my girlfriend my dad says I'm on my own.  I'm fine with borrowing everything which is what I'll have to do to go to my top choice and keep my girlfriend around.  I will need to borrow everything for tuition and expenses plus 1000/month for a jaguar I bought and credit card debt.  What sources of lending should I seek to cover my surplus expenses?  Is it legal to borrow more than the stated cost of attendance.  I hope there is a way so I don't have to cave to my father who holds the purse strings.

Re: Paying for school - interesting situation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:10:36 PM »
I think the best thing to do financially is to defer law school for a year (or two) and get your finances straightened out first. Generally speaking, you cannot use student loans to pay for car loans and credit card debt.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:12:12 PM »
And of course, there remains the possibility of saying 'A' while actually doing 'B'.

D. Boon

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »
I feel bad for you. I am sure that you father loves you, but the conditional nature of his financial support is way to manipulative.  

My first suggestion is that you stand back and take a close look at your girlfriend.  Your father, for whatever reason, seems to not like her.  Why?  Is you relationship solid?  How young is she and how likely is she to experience the typical changes people go through during their 20's.  Ask yourself these questions before you borrow a dime.  If there is any possibility that she won't be there in three years (or 10 for that matter) then you should get rid of her now, accept the parental offer, and drive your jag to your top choice school.

If you decide to bring the girlfriend and tell your father that your life decisions are not for sale then you should sell the Jag.  Think about how much interest you would be paying to BORROW the money to pay a car note.  That car is going to depreciate the entire time you are in law school and it seems like an extreme waste of money to keep it if you are footing the bill.

Sorry I can't help you on the cost of attendance question.  One final thought is that you should test your power to persuade.  See if you can move your father from his position.  Perhaps you could move an all or nothing proposition to a compromise of some sort.  You're going to be a lawyer.  See for yourself if you have any negotiation skills.  Good Luck

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 02:19:32 PM »
My first reaction is Boo-f-ing hoo.  Holy christ, there are people on this board who have actually had to struggle to even pay to submit apps let alone figure out how to pay for school...sell the damn Jag it would pay for at least one year if not more and make some sacrifices!  Go to the lower ranked school if you really don't want to be subject to daddy's purse strings.  Christ stop whining and grow up.  

And I am SO not sorry about how harsh this sounds  

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:26:40 PM »
Seriously-- what kind of advice did you expect? Oh my daddy won't pay for my school and my jag is soooo expensive... Who does that?

laurrk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:30:52 PM »
Lose the Jag for starters

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 02:34:02 PM »
loose the jag and get something reasonable like a 300 series bmw ;)

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 02:48:22 PM »
Sign the Jag over to me and I promise to pay for all of your law school, credit card debt, and rent for your girlfriend.  Really. I promise.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 03:04:34 PM »
Here is my situation
I want to go the the best school I've been admitted to.  I didn't get a scholarship there.  I got scholarships to a number of lower ranked schools but want to go to my top choice.  If I don't get married or take my girlfriend with me my dad will pay for everything.  If I do get married or take my girlfriend my dad says I'm on my own.  I'm fine with borrowing everything which is what I'll have to do to go to my top choice and keep my girlfriend around.  I will need to borrow everything for tuition and expenses plus 1000/month for a jaguar I bought and credit card debt.  What sources of lending should I seek to cover my surplus expenses?  Is it legal to borrow more than the stated cost of attendance.  I hope there is a way so I don't have to cave to my father who holds the purse strings.

youre a chick and you have gf?  very nice