Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Columbia or NYU?

NYU
Columbia

Author Topic: Columbia or NYU?  (Read 2350 times)

TeamBayern

• View Profile
    • LSN
Columbia or NYU?
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:50:04 PM »
My friend is having trouble deciding.  Any comments are very much appreciated

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia or NYU?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
One of the most debated topics of them all.  Might as well do it again.

They're both great, you can't go wrong with either.  I'm praying for either one.  Either one will give you tremendous job prospects.  Supposedly Columbia leads more to Biglaw and NYU more to public interest, but I think that's prolly overblown.

My personal taste runs to NYU.  I prefer the Village to Morningside Heights and got a friendlier vibe when I visited.  Columbia has the classic campus and the Ivy prestige, but having gone to Cornell UG I feel like I've been there, done that.  It's just personal preference.

(Oh ... and go go go Bayern Munich.)
Penn Law Class of '09

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:52:41 PM »
Columbia, because of its Ivy status.  ;D

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:59:52 PM »
Columbia. It'll save you from failing at convincingly explaining why your school is actually good, how it isn't affiliated with New York Law School, how it is private and not public, and why it is better than Columbia.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 03:18:54 PM »
Columbia. It'll save you from failing at convincingly explaining why your school is actually good, how it isn't affiliated with New York Law School, how it is private and not public, and why it is better than Columbia.

Explaining to who, the grandparents?

Any layperson.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:21:23 PM »
Most layerpersons perceive Columbia as superior to NYU.  On friend's gf even believed Brooklyn Law is better than NYU Law!  :-[ :-X ??? ??? ::)
If you would like to open your own little law office, maybe how laypersons perceive the quality of your school will be important.

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:26:59 PM »
It's not like NYU undergrad is prestigious, allowing the law school to ride that prestige. The undergrad is a safe harbor double safety for those who get rejected by the entire ivy leage and expect to get into better reject programs, but fail at that, too.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:44:50 PM »
It's not like NYU undergrad is prestigious, allowing the law school to ride that prestige. The undergrad is a safe harbor double safety for those who get rejected by the entire ivy leage and expect to get into better reject programs, but fail at that, too.

:'(

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »

hello hater...

NYU undergrad has some very mediocre programs and some excellent ones and is probably becoming one of the more selective schools in the country as its applications continue to rise. Lots of dumb long island girls to pay full tuition, but an equal amoutn of scholarship-drawn geniuses to make up the middle. im the first to admit that ALOT of us are Penn and Harvard rejects. That said, I chose NYU over Cornell, Johns Hopkins and UMich and Im not alone. You know not of what you speak.

CLS v NYU is silly. Theyre both great. NYU Law doesnt have the international prestige the way Columbia does, bec of Ivy and "name" and a longer history of legal excellence. Id argue that what NYU lacks in prestige, it makes up for in faculty, but thats me.

But if youre into public interest, into a warmer environment, into more chilled out professors and living downtown, NYU is good enough to outrank Columbia. If you want a concentrated campus, a degree that has a hint of ivy and probably the best Big Law Factory conditions possible, CLS is for you. But you cant really go wrong with either. Spend a few hours at each, thats the only way to make this decision.

NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »
I'm a similar predicament....seems like I will end up in NY and then I have to choose between these two schools
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)