Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: YLS Admit Weekend  (Read 4989 times)

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Re: YLS Admit Weekend
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 04:57:52 PM »
:'( !

I know! I hate that I'll missing out on the CARIBBEAN THEMED DINNER!!!!   :'(

now Annabel, what is this you speak of?

Wait...I'm confusing myself. Too many dinners!

On Friday night the BLSA is hosting a dinner (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

On Saturday night there's a Minority Students dinner hosted by the BLSA, LLSA and PANA:
"This is always a fun event.  It's also a great opportunity for admitted
students to meet current students and faculty.  This year's dinner will be
hosted by Richard and Heidi Brooks at their home.  At the request of Mrs.
Brooks, the caterers are preparing a Caribbean themed menu from drinks to
dessert."

Looks like I'll still get to enjoy that Caribbean theme -- I'll feel right @ home  ;D
Who's your Daddy now?

bloomich

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 04:59:18 PM »
thoughts?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »
I'll bite. I didn't get a chance to go to most of the events, but YLS went the extra mile to add the personal touch. I was VERY surprised and impressed. Everybody I met was really down to earth and seemed genuinely happy to meet me. Current students were EXTREMELY helpful. They were calling me up to make sure I got to New Haven and invited me to parties and stuff. The professors were warm and full of information. At one dinner, they were walking around making sure they introduced themselves to all the admitted students. And I got a chance to meet Dean Koh and he knew who I was, where I was from, where I went to school and we had a great conversation about his first hip-hop concert experience. He also made sure he introduced me to other current students and professors.

I never expected to have such a good time with a bunch of strangers. IMO, they have a very strong sense of community and camaraderie. I had a great time  ;D
Who's your Daddy now?

John Galt

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 09:40:27 PM »
Yale is just more intimate than Harvard. Its a great deal smaller and people seem to know each other pretty well. It would be pretty difficult to become anonymous at the law school. Everything is more personal at admit weekend - there was a dinner at a professors house for example where many of the law school's profs came to meet the admits. I was able to talk to profs about my interests in the law and they told me what was available and gave me some ideas. Dean Koh knew me by name when he saw me (another example) and I was able to just chat and joke with him in an informal setting. It was nice. The law school itself consists of  one large building (but its fairly large) and it has classrooms, seminar rooms, the library, cafeteria, profs' offices, and lockers! The theme here is Harvard is big, Yale is more intimate.

The current students seemed to be relaxed and enthusiastic about Yale. Many people just kept repeating how the first semester is pass/fail and how required courses are only for one semester. A girl I spoke to was representing clients in her second semester in a clinic. There seems to be a bit more academic freedom at Yale than at Harvard, but Harvard offers a greater variety of courses to choose from. The faculty at both schools, from what I can gather, seem to be comparable. There are some really awesome profs and some not so good profs.

New Haven is not as bad as they say. I mean, there isn't much to do, but there are some clubs, bars, eateries and things of that nature. The town is full of college students and apartments - so really what more do you need. There is a walmart close by if you have a car (and if you want to endorse horrible labor practices!) and walgreens, etc. Downtown isn't bad - definitely less urban than I expected given its reputation...hahahahahah....Y ale is walking distance from most of the apartment buildings that many law students stay at.

I like the current students a great deal and if next year students are nearly as decent, I'd be pretty happy.

bluesmoke

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 09:46:31 PM »
Any idea where you're going, John and Annabelle?  H or Y at this point?

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »
Any idea where you're going, John and Annabelle?  H or Y at this point?

The million dollar question! (literally -- which school will be taking all my money   :-\ )

I'm going to give myself a little bit more time to think and pray about it. It's a big decision and I need to make sure I've taken all the factors into consideration.
Who's your Daddy now?

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »
I'm gonna set up a "Who Got Our Money" thread in BLSD after all the deadlines have passed.  That way people like JG, Annabel, and Blue Smoke can answer this question once and for all.  And I can once again reiterate the decision I made like a month ago -- no matter how much I happen to seem to waver about it every couple of days lmao.

Congrats to all.  Glad y'all enjoyed YLS.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

Kansas

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »
Everyone's so quiet. Did anyone decide NOT to go to Yale?

badmammajamma

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:36 PM »
I started a little play-by-play review of the weekend today at work, with my opinions about it. I'll post it later tonight when I finish.
I'm not making the H or Y decision, though. My only decision is rent or buy (in New Haven).
Yale Class of 2009

serpentstooth

• Sr. Citizen
  • c'est moi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 07:27:51 PM »
I was blown away by the weekend.  Everyone was incredibly friendly, and the current students and alumni were so overwhelmingly positive.  Even the town of New Haven was much more attractive and friendly-seeming than I expected.  I look forward to going in the fall, although rental costs for an apartment are about double what they are where I live now  :)
YLS 09