Law School Discussion

Intelligence Director?

jgruber

Intelligence Director?
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:08:36 AM »
Do we need an intelligence czar?  Will this help or will it just add another layer of bureaucracy?

Should it be based in the White House or outside of it?

darren

• Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligence Director?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:39:54 AM »
For a country that claims to really hate "big government", no one does bureaucracy quite like the US.  Maybe I'm not remembering things quite right, but I thought that the whole point of the Homeland Security department was to facilitate cooperation between the various intelligence and law enforcement agencies. 

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 10:42:34 AM »
Homeland Security seems redundant to me since we have a Department of Defense.  Why do we need another department to defend us?

For a country that claims to really hate "big government", no one does bureaucracy quite like the US.  Maybe I'm not remembering things quite right, but I thought that the whole point of the Homeland Security department was to facilitate cooperation between the various intelligence and law enforcement agencies. 

darren

• Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:56:14 AM »
Hey, the more departments we have defending us, the better chance there is that one of them will get it right!  ;)

inthesun

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 11:02:36 AM »
Or more chances to f*** it up.

nekko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 02:26:16 PM »
Homeland security and the DoD aren't really redundant unless you envision the military being much more involved in domestic security which most civil libertarians would not find appealing. Also my understanding is that there are various legal barriers for more active DoD involvement.

Homeland security was/is meant to coordinate intelligence/law enforcement services but it's in a fairly narrow range of activities. An intelligence czar ostensibly would coordinate all intelligence. My understanding is that essentially something along the lines of having the DCI just head the CIA and have this new person be what the DCI was supposed to be.

It makes sense to have some sort of grand overseer if you will over the various intelligence services but you'd have to give that individual considerable amounts of power for it to be an effective solution.

It would have to be under White House control for it to be really effective in part because for it to be effective it would have to have decision making power over so many executive branch personnel. Also an intelligence director outside of the White House is a lot more likely to get ignored in favor of the Nat'l Security Advisor or similar administration member.

lucky7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »
I'm still not completely sure about the idea of an intelligence czar. I understand that the intel comes from a bunch of different agencies, but why can't the National Security Advisor connect the dots? Or Homeland Security? How is adding yet another person any better?

nekko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 05:14:30 PM »
The Nat'l Security advisor can only do so much to connect the dots. The Nat'l Security advisor is more of an intelligence user rather than gatherer and analyzer. Similar to the head of Homeland Security. There jobs are more focused on what to do once certain information is obtained indicating XY and Z is going to happen. Not so much gathering that information and figuring out whether it's meaningful. It's like forcing someone to instead of being a newspaper reader, reading articles and then processing that information into being a newspaper editor where they get tons of stories, some bad, some good that they have to integrate together, refine, compare with other stories, etc. Very different tasks.