Law School Discussion

Odd finding in USNews...

Odd finding in USNews...
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:44:09 PM »
Although there's considerable difference between T1 and T2 schools in the new USNWR rankings, I fail to see considerable differences between some T3 and T4 schools.

For example, Michigan State University has strong assessment scores, competitive LSAT scores yet it's ranked T4. Arguably these scores trump many schools listed in the T3 bracket.

Also, I fail to see why schools like Quinnipiac jumped T3 while
Suffolk remains T4.

Do the T3 and T4 distinctions actually revolve around the employment and/or acceptance rates?  If so, Michigan State and Suffolk should get waitlist happy, initially, to boost themselves to the 2nd Tier, where arguably, their markets suggest them placing.

Re: Odd finding in USNews...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »
discuss amongst yourselves...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

krumanadi

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:15:17 PM »
Although there's considerable difference between T1 and T2 schools in the new USNWR rankings, I fail to see considerable differences between some T3 and T4 schools.

For example, Michigan State University has strong assessment scores, competitive LSAT scores yet it's ranked T4. Arguably these scores trump many schools listed in the T3 bracket.

Also, I fail to see why schools like Quinnipiac jumped T3 while
Suffolk remains T4.

Do the T3 and T4 distinctions actually revolve around the employment and/or acceptance rates?  If so, Michigan State and Suffolk should get waitlist happy, initially, to boost themselves to the 2nd Tier, where arguably, their markets suggest them placing.

From the stats it seems like Michigan State is probably at the top of tier 4.  However, LSAT is just one component of their methodology.  The 67.6 bar passage rate doesnt help them either.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:18:17 PM »
Right, but look at the jurisdiction though.  Quinnipiac has a bar passage rate 10% lower than the CT average, yet it pulled off T3.  Something is outrageously wrong with the methodology here (considering  also the "tied-ranking schemes" however these are calculated)

krumanadi

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:24:54 PM »
Right, but look at the jurisdiction though.  Quinnipiac has a bar passage rate 10% lower than the CT average, yet it pulled off T3.  Something is outrageously wrong with the methodology here (considering  also the "tied-ranking schemes" however these are calculated)

thats true, but there is more than one category that dictates what the rankings are.  quinnipiac is helped by 92.2% of grads are employed 9 months after graduating, whereas michigan state boasts a 78.7% rate.

im not saying the methodology or the rankings are the best way of going about it, but there are definitly reasons that most schools are where they are..

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »
Also, Quinnipiac has a REALLY low opinion in CT. From what I've gathered it's better to attend a T3 in MA, NY or NJ than go to the Q. It probably springs partly from the fact that UG it's the school for rich kids who can't get in anywhere else. The crazy girl on the Real World this season is their most famous alum.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:39:59 PM »
Yeah, another thing: many MSU graduates leave MI seeking employment, while Suffolk grads aim for employment in Boston. Both  factors seem explain the lower than expected employment marks. MSU has no earmarked employment market, whereas Suffolk trys to feed itself into a primary market (Beantown).

Neither MSU nor Suffolk is "national" in that sense, but placing either school amongst schools like Cooley, Southern and Whittier is just a ludicrous thing to do.  Categorically speaking, it's misleading to think either school is "broadly similar" to other T4 schools.

orky13

• Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:03:29 AM »
I'm confused by the tier system. is T1 1-50, T2 51-100, T3 101-150, t4 151-200?

flydog

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »
Its because US News puts heavy emphasis on peer and judge opinions versus the other factors. If you rank the schools by only peer and judge scores the rankings dont change considerably.

laurrk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »
Also, I fail to see why schools like Quinnipiac jumped T3 while Suffolk remains T4.

I think their LSAT scores improved, maybe that helped them?