Law School Discussion

Michigan Reception - San Francisco

Michigan Reception - San Francisco
« on: March 29, 2006, 04:12:02 PM »
So i wasn't going to post anything initially, but upon further reflection I've really gotta give credit where its due.

The reception for U Mich last night was as classy of an act as I've seen any organization put on.

First, I was greeted at the door by a representative who handed me a nifty little name card. The secretary of the host firm (Keker & Van Nest), upon learning of my admiration for John Keker, gave me a tour of his office.

There was endless sparkling water, beer, wine, mini hamburgers, cheese, salmon, sushi, teriyaki chicken, wraps, and shrimp cocktail.

Alumni approached me in the most sincere and non-salemanship manner to chat. I talked to a retired trial lawyer from the class of '51 about his career and memoirs. Dean Camiker and Zearfoss were both there with a short and engaging speech from the prior. Great time, great organization. My hats off to them.

Re: Michigan Reception - San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 04:17:06 PM »
I agree.  I was there for almost three hours and had a great time talking to both alumni and fellow admitted students.  Several alumni gave me their business cards so I could contact them about various things (for example, one told me about a public interest law event being held in SF in April, and said we should go together if I was worried about showing up alone.)  And those little chicken skewers were amazing.

I got a much better vibe from that event than from NYU's SF event.

Re: Michigan Reception - San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:12:47 PM »
First off, where and when is this public interest event?

Secondly, the two students that I know at nyu law tell me how worn out the corporate competitivesness makes them. One of them, a stand up guy from Stanford said: "you just can't escape the corporate culture there".

My two cents worth: new york city was not built on compassion. the lumber depends on the forest it grew in.