Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How conservative is Vandy??  (Read 541 times)

kdiz81

• View Profile
    • Email
How conservative is Vandy??
« on: March 29, 2006, 02:54:40 PM »
I am seriously considering Vandy but couldn't skip work to attend the admit days.  How conservative is the joint really??  As a granola dyke from Colorado, will I have to shave my legs to make friends???

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How conservative is Vandy??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this helps....but my good buddy went to Vandy undergrad...and he said there was a lot of stuck up, preppy, conservative, rich white kids. I have a feeling that the law school is much different though. Take SMU for example....ugrad is very abercrombie, rich, white, stuck up...and the law school class is well.....not.

kdiz81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 03:35:22 PM »
I too have heard that the undergrad is right of George Bush and pimping penny loafers is common practice. Anyone know more about the law school??  I am not looking for people dressed like bums, but I am looking for some progressive allies with a little less starch in their shirts.

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Nashville is a true-blue Southern city and they missed the whole Reagan revolution (thank God) according to Wikipedia. I've heard the law school is very progressive. I don't know about the undergrads.

MustangAlum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »
I'm not sure if this helps....but my good buddy went to Vandy undergrad...and he said there was a lot of stuck up, preppy, conservative, rich white kids. I have a feeling that the law school is much different though. Take SMU for example....ugrad is very abercrombie, rich, white, stuck up...and the law school class is well.....not.

SMU is not abercrombie in the least bit... SMU is Horse (polo), Gator (lacoste), and Moose (brooks brothers). How dare you offend our frattiness!!!  :o Everything else you say is correct. Although the Princeton Review excerpt of the law school calls it "the country club law school."

Back to my original point -- Abercrombie sucks. Abercrombie is not welcome at SMU. We take pride in dressing like our fathers and grandfathers at the age of 22 on "the Hilltop" (reference to SMU campus).

SMU is "where kids go when they can't get into Vanderbilt but their moms and dads won't let them go to UT or A&M." - Texas College Stereotypes.
SMU Undergraduate '05
Univ. of South Carolina Law '09

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »
Hey KDiz,

Just to let you know, that was probably my biggest point of concern about Vanderbilt too.  I've only lived in the South (Atlanta, New Orleans, North Carolina) but I've had a pretty liberal upbringing and I've had limited contact with any conservative/Republican folks.  So when I went to Vandy for the open house weekend, I was definitely trying to figure the political scene out...

I got to ask a few students about the conservative nature of Vandy when certain red flags came up (i.e. one guy told me that he took some time off before law school to work for the Dean campaign; another dude was working for some Democratic lobbyist group in D.C.) and everyone seemed to say that it's not an issue at all.  But the answer is still that there are probably more conservatives there than some other law schools-- after all, it's still the south.  Nonetheless, my fears were put to rest during the weekend.

One thing that I noticed about Vandy is that everyone seemed to be down with one another-- as I'm sure you know, it's a pretty small entering class, and there seemed to be a we're-all-in-this-together mentality overall.  However, I didn't see too many weirdo-looking kids (a shame!) so maybe they were all locked in the basement or something.  

Hope this helps a bit...

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 04:02:35 PM »

SMU is not abercrombie in the least bit... SMU is Horse (polo), Gator (lacoste), and Moose (brooks brothers). How dare you offend our frattiness!!!  :o Everything else you say is correct. Although the Princeton Review excerpt of the law school calls it "the country club law school."

Back to my original point -- Abercrombie sucks. Abercrombie is not welcome at SMU. We take pride in dressing like our fathers and grandfathers at the age of 22 on "the Hilltop" (reference to SMU campus).

SMU is "where kids go when they can't get into Vanderbilt but their moms and dads won't let them go to UT or A&M." - Texas College Stereotypes.

:D
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »
Also, KDiz, there's another open house on April 7th if you want to go check things out for yourself...

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »
And, for the record, here's a link to my original post on the topic:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,53280.0.html

The most informative quote on that thread comes from Stephon Devante, a good man:

I emailed to inquire as to the conservative nature of the school. Ryan Willard, Coordinator of Admissions, replied,

"As a former student here at Vanderbilt and a current employee of the school, I would say that the atmosphere is balanced.  To break it down a bit; institutions of higher education typically have a leftward bent in the political spectrum.  Vanderbilt, because itís in the south and a reputation for affluence, tends to get the conservative label.  Perhaps in the continuum of political views, it is a little right of its counterparts, but I suspect that it places the school in a more centered position.  The students who are here find it to be a place that allows for open debate.  In other words, students donít feel oppressed or shunned because they lean right or left.  I hope this is helpful.  Do you have any other questions?  I am happy to answer as candidly as possible."

Hope that helps!