Law School Discussion

Will changes in the US News rankings affect your school choice?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Will changes in the US News rankings affect your school choice?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2006, 12:04:04 PM »
seriously lets find a way to break ties- i know its all relative to whoever is #1- but im sure there is a way----maybe make rep scores 1-10 instead of 1-5?  that might allow a little more seperation--- maybe use both lsat median and midpt in determing the lsat amount

midpoint=median. 

Depends on how define midpoint.  A range of numbers 1 to 10 has a midpoint 5.  But if the set is 1,2,2,2,6,10, then the median is 2.  If you mean midpoint as in "middle number," then 2 is the midpoint.  If you mean midpoint as in "point in the middle of the range" then it's 5.  Of course,  if the numbers are equally distributed (say, consecutive) then midpoint always = median = mean.

Fair enough.

Midpoint is a highly manipulable data piece, then, and shouldn't be used.

Agreed.  Manipulable and meaningless.  It's also silly to derive a median from a 25-75 range, since that's really manipulable.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2006, 12:22:51 PM »
i think both can be manipulated but that manipulating both at the same time can be harder- using median a school simply becomes a x lsat = admit regardless of anything else- the midpoint gives a better idea of the last numbers in teh class as a whole tho it encourages schools to take less low lsat peopel at the bottome
i think median encourages schools to take more very high lsats and midpoint encourages them to take less low lsats
this is purely speculative but i think using both makes it very hard if not impossible to manipulate both ways at the same time and the end result will be a more accurate lsat reflection

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »
oh and i should probably say that by midpoint i mean the way usnews used it
ex lsat range is 160-168 median is say 166 but the midpoint is 164