Law School Discussion

Ole Miss v. Mercer

Horsley54

• Ole Miss Bound
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ole Miss v. Mercer
« on: March 29, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »
Alright got my acceptance to Ole Miss yesterday, and that's where i am leaning, but any solid info on either school to go to one or the other would be great.  I know Mercer was ranked #2 for Legal Writing in the USNWR.

Re: Ole Miss v. Mercer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:54:05 AM »
2007 USNWR:
#87: Mercer
** Ranked #2 for Legal Writing
#97: Ole Miss

Princeton Review Rankings:
Mercer: #9. Professor's Rock (Legally Speaking)
Ole Miss:#5. Candidates for Heritage Foundations Fellowships (or Students Lean to the Right)

Bar Passage Rates/Start Salaries:
Mercer: 91%/ $55,008
Ole Miss: 91%/ $62,882

# of OCI recuiters on campus/Firms that Recruit:
Mercer: 80. King & Spalding; Alston & Bird; McKenna Long & Aldridge; James Bates Pope & Spivey; Martin Snow. Most firms are Atlanta firms.
Ole Miss: 80. "Top Regional Employers across the South and South East." Most firms are from Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Cost:
Mercer: $27,600
Ole Miss: $15,000/year (Out of State), $8,000/year (In-State) ** Can gain residency after 1 year.

City Closest to:
Mercer: Atlanta
Ole Miss: Memphis

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:43:19 AM »
2007 USNWR:
#87: Mercer
** Ranked #2 for Legal Writing
#97: Ole Miss

Princeton Review Rankings:
Mercer: #9. Professor's Rock (Legally Speaking)
Ole Miss:#5. Candidates for Heritage Foundations Fellowships (or Students Lean to the Right)

Bar Passage Rates/Start Salaries:
Mercer: 91%/ $55,008
Ole Miss: 91%/ $62,882

# of OCI recuiters on campus/Firms that Recruit:
Mercer: 80. King & Spalding; Alston & Bird; McKenna Long & Aldridge; James Bates Pope & Spivey; Martin Snow. Most firms are Atlanta firms.
Ole Miss: 80. "Top Regional Employers across the South and South East." Most firms are from Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Cost:
Mercer: $27,600
Ole Miss: $15,000/year (Out of State), $8,000/year (In-State) ** Can gain residency after 1 year.

City Closest to:
Mercer: Atlanta
Ole Miss: Memphis

What's up?  Have you still not heard :-\?

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:02:08 AM »
I just withdrew from Ole Miss.  I'd previously withdrawn from Mercer.  I know Mercer passed Ole Miss is rank, but Ole Miss sure does seem more picky in letting people in;  they took 6 months to accept me. 

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:12:23 AM »
Nope... still haven't heard.  :-[ When I called yesterday because I didn't know if I'd be in town for the rest of the week, they didn't say anything about a decision. It seems that those people that were accepted received theirs over the phone when they called..

I'm  assuming I was rejected/waitlisted. I've written the check to South Carolina, just waiting until Thursday to hear back from Ole Miss before I Fed-Ex it.

I don't have to travel for work afterall this week so I'll be able to check my mail which I guess is a good thing?  :-\

Oh well... at least USC didn't have settle for a 3rd Rate Football Coach when they went to the hiring pool last year. What's the point of getting into the "O-Zone" if your team can't find the Red-Zone? Kidding Kidding..  8)

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »
Ole Miss...better football, but that's just me

somniferum

• Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:21:51 AM »
I don't know much about Mercer, but here is the geographic placement of last year's graduating class at Ole Miss.

Mississippi (97) - 76%
Tennessee (12) - 9%
Alabama (5) - 4%
Georgia (2) - 2%
Louisiana (2) - 2%
North Carolina (2) - 2%
Washington DC (2) - 2%
Texas (1)- <1%
Washington (1) - <1%
California (1) - <1%
Virginia (1) - <1%
Illinois (1) - <1%

Basically, if you want to practice in Mississippi or the surrounding states, go to Ole Miss.  If you'd rather practice in or around Georgia, go to Mercer.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:57:20 PM »
Nope... still haven't heard.  :-[ When I called yesterday because I didn't know if I'd be in town for the rest of the week, they didn't say anything about a decision. It seems that those people that were accepted received theirs over the phone when they called..

I'm  assuming I was rejected/waitlisted. I've written the check to South Carolina, just waiting until Thursday to hear back from Ole Miss before I Fed-Ex it.

I don't have to travel for work afterall this week so I'll be able to check my mail which I guess is a good thing?  :-\

Oh well... at least USC didn't have settle for a 3rd Rate Football Coach when they went to the hiring pool last year. What's the point of getting into the "O-Zone" if your team can't find the Red-Zone? Kidding Kidding..  8)

I feel like I have pretty high numbers for Ole Miss, and I didn't get a phone call, email, or scholarship.  And like I said, they took 6 months.  I got in about 10 days ago, and withdrew yesterday.