Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toledo vs. Cincinnati?  (Read 660 times)

brownsfan05

• View Profile
Toledo vs. Cincinnati?
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:00:18 AM »
Hi, you can see all my stats below.  Cincinnati was the highest ranked school I got into, and I received a $2K scholarship per year (negotiated to $3K).  I'm deciding between that school and Toledo.  I also got a full ride from Cleveland Marshall, but I currently live in Cleveland, and I really need to get away from home, plus the bar passage rates at that school are awful.

I'm going down to Cincy on the 14th for the admitted students to see the city.  What can anyone tell me about the city, campus, places to live etc.  I'm going to have to like it a lot to pass up a full ride at another tier 2 school.  Also, do you think my job prospects would be greater if I graduated from Cincy as opposed to Toledo?  Thanks.

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Re: Toledo vs. Cincinnati?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »
I think it's a tough decision, don't just look at the rankings.  I have a h.s. classmate who had to make the same decision as you and she chose Cincinnatti. Partly because we are from Toledo and she really didn't want to be there -- I believe she got a 1/2 scholarship at Cinci although her numbers are pretty similar.  She was in the top 20% there her first semester and she has found a job working for some judge down in Atlanta after 1L.  It sounds like her experience has been great. Personally, I have never visited Cinci, but from what I gather from looking at the ABA data both are equally as regional (65% in OH) and bar passage rates are equally high (90% ish).  Of course, Cinci grads will dominate job market there, if that is where you want to live.  Both full-time programs are very small for a law school although Toledo's part-time program might make the school feel bigger.

Honestly, I don't think your employment prospects will be significantly improved by attending Cinci alone.  Top 20% @ Toledo and top 20% at Cinci will likely find the same opps. Check out facilities, visit with profs, examine what programs are offered and if they are of interest and see where you feel most comfortable.

I posted a review of my visit to Toledo under Review/Rankings section. PM me if you have any other questions.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:27:03 AM »
Toledo, full-ride > Cinci, 3K

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »
I think you should visit both schools and talk to students and the career office. Try to figure out which school is better for you and your career goals.

If the $$$ offer from UT is contigent on maintaining a certain GPA, I would think very carefully about it. Find out how many students hold on to their scholarships.

If your offer is contigent, and you really like Cinci more, I would go there over UT.

Good luck with your decision.

brownsfan05

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:28:15 PM »
I think you should visit both schools and talk to students and the career office. Try to figure out which school is better for you and your career goals.

If the $$$ offer from UT is contigent on maintaining a certain GPA, I would think very carefully about it. Find out how many students hold on to their scholarships.

If your offer is contigent, and you really like Cinci more, I would go there over UT.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  Yes, Toledo requires a 3.3 for the year to renew, which I'm told is likely 25-30% of the class.  Cincinnati only requires a 2.0 to renew their scholarship. 

Certainly, my goal will be top 20% at least.  But, not acheiving that and losing the scholarship would be a double blow.  Anyone have any information on the grading curve at UT?

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »
I don't remember the exact details on the curve, just that they don't adhere to a strict curve. I think median grade in a prof's class is supposed to be around a 2.8. When a prof deviates too far from it, they need to offer an explanation. The Dean was very candid about the fact that all of those entering with a full scholarship will not keep it.  He said he expected about 50-60% of those 1Ls on a full-ride to retain it for 2L. Hope this helps a bit.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 09:41:10 PM »
hey brownsfan, 

have you visited toledo?  if so, what were your impressions?  did you check out the law facilities?  the campus?  thanx.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

brownsfan05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 10:32:55 PM »
hey brownsfan, 

have you visited toledo?  if so, what were your impressions?  did you check out the law facilities?  the campus?  thanx.

The facilities are very nice.  The law building is 4 floors, and has a library on the top few floor.  The faculty were excellent, and the lady in charge of finding profs. said she looks for ones that are there to teach first and foremost (as opposed to research focused) and are accesible. 

The campus is also nice.  There's huge rec center with mountain climbing and everything.  There are a lot of inexpensive apartments around campus that are in good condition.  There are some areas outside of the campus that are questionable and one needs to be aware of this, however, I'm thinking this is the case with all Ohio law schools, from Akron to Cleveland Marshall and even Case Western Reserve.

Overall, it seems like a good learning environment and it's worth a visit if you're considering the school.

brownsfan05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:36:31 PM »
I don't remember the exact details on the curve, just that they don't adhere to a strict curve. I think median grade in a prof's class is supposed to be around a 2.8. When a prof deviates too far from it, they need to offer an explanation. The Dean was very candid about the fact that all of those entering with a full scholarship will not keep it.  He said he expected about 50-60% of those 1Ls on a full-ride to retain it for 2L. Hope this helps a bit.

Hi, were you at the law preview day this past weekend?  I remember the dean saying that stat about scholarships.  However, someone who was attending said that all scholarship receipiants need a 3.3.  Do you know if this true?  I would think if it is, those with higher amounts of scholarships are more likely to keep them, not because they are so much smarter, but because they have more to lose if they don't get the grades.

Also, have you made up your mind about where you're going?

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:42:31 PM »
they gave me an awesome deal.  full-ride (good standing)!  i'm thinking about living downtown at the hillcrest.

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.