Law School Discussion

Segregation at Admitted Students Events -- yay or nay?

Segregation at Admitted Students Events -- yay or nay?
« on: March 28, 2006, 10:26:33 PM »
Just came back from the Penn ASW, and I loved the school.

I was, however, disturbed by the way some of the events were arranged... basically some of the events targeted to minority groups ran concurrently with the general programming, which had the effect of keeping all the groups uncomfortably segregated (at least, I was uncomfortable).

Did anyone else feel this way?

Example: the night of the social, the main event was held at one bar, while events for BLSA, SALSA and the GLBT club were held at separate bars at the same time... the Dean suggested we could go to whichever event, but since no one seemed to be in charge at the pub I wouldn't have even known how to get to the other places.

I understand the need to express to members of minority groups that there is a community there to support them; I'm sure people want to know they won't be alone... BUT I also think one of the great things about college, and hopefully law school, is the opportunity to associate with people unlike yourself... everyone learns so much more from each other.  The scheduling kinda prevented this from happening.   

I guess what I'm saying is, why couldn't they hold specialty events at a different time?

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: Segregation at Admitted Students Events -- yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:51:27 AM »
Maybe they don't want the honky rednecks to scare away all of the diversity.

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:54:40 AM »
Well that's kind of the way law school works.
At our school all the clubs meet at the same time. It makes it tough to join more than one group.

But I agree it's kind of bad to force people to choose which event to go to.

mae8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 02:00:31 AM »
Same as college. Many UGs have separate admitted student days for minorities, let alone separate programs if the ASW is at the same time. As noted in the article Yale is the only top school i know of that recently stopped doing this.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/03/23/News/Schools.Eye.Minority.Recruitment.Programs-1714393.shtml?norewrite200603290405&sourcedomain=www.dukechronicle.com

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:54:21 AM »
All schools should stop it.  Liberal America constantly states (and I, of course, agree) that minorities should not be singled out based on their heritage, and yet, that is precisely what events like these do!  Being half Hispanic, I have been invited to a number of minority-specific events at law schools (at Duke and UCLA in particular) and I turn them down - I want to attend law school as a smart student who is ready for the challenge, not as a Hispanic who needs a supportive community of other minorities.  It really ruffles my feathers.

Then why did you select the fact that your an URM in your application.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »
Just came back from the Penn ASW, and I loved the school.

I was, however, disturbed by the way some of the events were arranged... basically some of the events targeted to minority groups ran concurrently with the general programming, which had the effect of keeping all the groups uncomfortably segregated (at least, I was uncomfortable).

Did anyone else feel this way?

Example: the night of the social, the main event was held at one bar, while events for BLSA, SALSA and the GLBT club were held at separate bars at the same time... the Dean suggested we could go to whichever event, but since no one seemed to be in charge at the pub I wouldn't have even known how to get to the other places.

I understand the need to express to members of minority groups that there is a community there to support them; I'm sure people want to know they won't be alone... BUT I also think one of the great things about college, and hopefully law school, is the opportunity to associate with people unlike yourself... everyone learns so much more from each other.  The scheduling kinda prevented this from happening.   

I guess what I'm saying is, why couldn't they hold specialty events at a different time?

Wow - this is very discouraging for my school visit for tonight. I mean, I really want to support, join, meet and interact with groups that may be a part of minority based organizations such as BLSA, but I also want to be able to meet my classmates that are non-URMs as well..... wow... so unfair. I feel like this not only sets a split in the class, but also creates a harder opportunity to bond with other potential classmates.... what do you do??? I really plan to make relationships with just good people... not b/c they are a certain race/gender.... this sounds so catch 22ish.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:22 AM »
Same as college. Many UGs have separate admitted student days for minorities, let alone separate programs if the ASW is at the same time. As noted in the article Yale is the only top school i know of that recently stopped doing this.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/03/23/News/Schools.Eye.Minority.Recruitment.Programs-1714393.shtml?norewrite200603290405&sourcedomain=www.dukechronicle.com

Thanks for the article; I honestly didn't know it was so widespread... different WEEKENDS?!  Crazy.  I think they're wrong to call it "self-segregation," though, when the segregation is built into the organization of the weekend.  The fact that it was institutional is what I found so unsavory.

George JeffersonČ

• Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 09:07:47 AM »
I think it is a good idea to hold events for specific groups. It sucks when they conflict with other interesting activities. I'd hold nothing against a university in the midwest for holding a special event for attracting Asian students, who may not typically attend the school (not that this is actually the case at any midwestrn school). Nor would I hold it against a school that is associated with a certain religious denomination for holding special events for student of "rival" denominations. The same goes for all types of "special interest groups." Admitting students is one thing, getting them to attend is another. Sometimes schools have to pander.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:33:02 AM »
If this is the case at the schools you are admitted to, SPEAK UP about it.  Nothing will change unless the law schools get the word that they could lose potential students (of all races) if they continue. 

I was kind of ticked that WI has a diversity event only at the second admitted students weekend, which those of us who could only go to the first will miss.  However, the banquet they are having is open to ALL students.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »
It's one thing to have a few daytime events for separate groups, but when the Friday night social at the bar (kind of the culmination of the weekend) is split into different groups (which are sent to different bars!), that seems counterproductive to me.

The fact is tho, some of the groups would still end up having "unofficial" gatherings at the same time anyway. I think this arises out of the fact that the CURRENT students don't really want to go the mainstream admit stuff (they usually think it's lame). Take it for what it's worth, but I don't really see the big deal - admit weekends are crammed full of stuff and some things have to take place at the same time or admit weekend would be Admit Week. Admits make choices about what they want to see, and should they decide to enroll, they have all the time during orientation/the school year to explore all the options.