Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L Job placement  (Read 9546 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
W&L Job placement
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:33 AM »
So I'm looking at the new rankings, and happy that W&L, my top choice at this point, didn't drop.  They have an awesome S/F ratio, decent grades and LSATs, and a good rep from peers and professionals.

Then I look at their job placement percentages.  76.9% at graduation - only 91.2% 9 months out. 

To find a worse 9-month job placement rate, you have to drop to Utah at 57.  Does anyone have any idea why?  Everything I hear about W&L is that they have a small but great alumni network and really look out for their own.

I don't anticipate being in the bottom decile of my class, so this shouldn't affect me, but why is their ranking so far below comparable schools?  Anyone?
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: W&L Job placement - WTF???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:16:33 AM »
that bugged me a lot last year looking at schools- while its def not great there is a few things to consider
w&l places a lot of people in clerkships and govt jobs- both of which i believe require you to pass the bar BEFORE officially having the job- thereby less peopel are techincally employed at graduation

i dont know how much that acccounts for but i think it pulls it out of the 'omg awful' category and into the 'hmm iffy' category

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:32:33 AM »
that bugged me a lot last year looking at schools- while its def not great there is a few things to consider
w&l places a lot of people in clerkships and govt jobs- both of which i believe require you to pass the bar BEFORE officially having the job- thereby less peopel are techincally employed at graduation

i dont know how much that acccounts for but i think it pulls it out of the 'omg awful' category and into the 'hmm iffy' category

You're right about most gov't jobs, but I don't believe the clerkships require you to pass the bar. You do get higher pay if you passed the bar though.

Just look at Yale's employment numbers. They place a tremendous percentage of their graduates in clerkship positions.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »
I looked at UIUC, and their placement at graduation is only 72% ??? ??? And Iowa, the school which everyone bashes has placement of 88%?  Why is this?  I would expect Illinois grads to have better placement at graduation, simply because they are closer to Chicago.

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:43:19 AM »
What puzzlew me is why on their website W&L lists:
emp. at grad: 90.35%
emp at 9mos.: 98.40%

http://law.wlu.edu/career/Class%20of%202005%20MASTER%20STATISTICAL%20REPORT%20OCP.pdf
This is supposedly for class of 2005, which should be the same data as in USNews.

Anybody know what gives?

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »

http://law.wlu.edu/career/Class%20of%202005%20MASTER%20STATISTICAL%20REPORT%20OCP.pdf
This is supposedly for class of 2005, which should be the same data as in USNews.

Anybody know what gives?

US News uses '04 graduates info for the new rankings.

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:02:24 AM »
us news does use 04- i also know the carear services if very new- i think last year (2005) was the first year they had

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 10:05:53 AM »

Anybody know what gives?

Oh.  well then.

Thanks...

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »

Anybody know what gives?

If 04' emp. rate is at 76%, there is no way it can jump to 90% in 05'.  In my opinion, one of the 2 numbers must be false.  I think the USNews number is more believable. 

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:31:52 AM »

Anybody know what gives?

If 04' emp. rate is at 76%, there is no way it can jump to 90% in 05'.  In my opinion, one of the 2 numbers must be false.  I think the USNews number is more believable. 

Sure both of those numbers can be true. The economy was in recovery in '05, and graduates across the country were getting better and more job offers. The job market in '05 was simply better than '04