Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&L Job placement  (Read 9340 times)

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&L Job placement
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2006, 06:58:48 PM »
thanks to the people who responded to me, i'll be there this weekend to check out the feel of W+L.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2006, 07:05:13 PM »
thanks to the people who responded to me, i'll be there this weekend to check out the feel of W+L.

See you there . . .
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »
Fair enough LitDoc, not sure I udnerstand you interest in academia, its a hard field to break into, the pay is decent, but won't blow you socks off.  It makes sense for some people, but their are a lot of smart people competing for too few jobs.  It could be you are the naturally intellectual type, if so go for it enough.

At W&M, in my first two semesters, I ahd a professor from Akron and another from Ill., and third one from UNC so its definitely possible to do it from a mid first tier school, but all of them had to run a 10 or 12 year gauntlet, where they were visiting professors that weren't hired, before they had enough publications to stand on their own.  For biglaw it might matter which of the schools you are considering you go to, but for academia, you are going to have publish papers on the law no matter and probably run the gauntlet a little bit no matter what, if anything you might be best at W&L where you might get to know your profs better.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School