Law School Discussion

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
...would be great if it weren't full of Texans -- no offense, y'all.
Funny enough, I heard the observation that Austin had 'too many Americans, not enough Texans' ;)

:D  I would agree with that statement (not enough Texans)  BTW, I'm not a native; I've only been in TX for a couple of years.

Couldn't help but look around and wonder who on this board was there. Tried to put your tiny avatar picture to a face tralala haha.

:D Me too.  I'm pretty sure I did identify Tra, though; I think I even had a conversation with you.

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
 :D metaphorical.  I'm 90% sure I'm going to UT. 

To be honest, UH kind of irritated me when they offered me THE SAME scholarship as UT and then made it sound like UH and UT were comperable when they replied to my letter re:scholarship offers (I know, makes me sound arrogant, but I might as well be honest).  Besides, UT had everything that I liked about UH except more and better.  So, the ONLY reason to choose UH is just to stay in Houston, and that's not a good reason when it's the only reason.  UT has almost everything going for it.  How can I possibly turn it down?

LonghornDUG

On another note, I really don't understand why UT doesn't come up with a better argument in support of "we're national" besides mere repetition.
This was annoying to me, also.  Why does Carreer Services not ask people: did you get a job outside of Texas if you wanted one?  They report that 20% of people end up leaving Texas, and before this year, 20% of matriculants were from out of state, so it not impossible that everyone who comes here from out of state wanted to leave and that they all did so.  Why can't they tell prospective students exactly how that shakes out?  Like TonyP said, it's sloppy marketing and it makes UT look like they don't care about people who don't want to practice in Texas.  I think that's kind of foolish if it's true, as it's now up to 35% out-of-staters.  That's a big chunk of the student population whose needs are not being addressed in recruiting.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I think there are a couple factors that many out-of-staters miss.  I personally moved to Texas 7ish years ago from the Midwest, and I was VERY skeptical.  Now, I honestly have no desire to leave.  I'm just like all the speakers kept saying -- "I got here 23 years ago and never left."  Believe me, I do understand that this mentality is very difficult to grasp for any of y'all coming from out-of-state, but I'd venture to guess that you will be in the same boat in a few years.  I think that is a huge reason that people don't leave Texas after graduation -- it's not that they can't, it's that they just don't want to.

Second, as was explained to me by a current 1L, money plays a huge factor in these decisions as well.  The starting salary in Houston is $135K (compared to $145K in NYC).  The cost of living in Houston is dirt-cheap, especially when compared to NYC or DC.  So many 3Ls, when looking at $150K worth of debt stay in Texas b/c they can make the same money with a cost-of-living that is 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 of what it is elsewhere.  At some point, practicality sets in and they stay in Texas for those reasons.

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
:D metaphorical.  I'm 90% sure I'm going to UT. 

To be honest, UH kind of irritated me when they offered me THE SAME scholarship as UT and then made it sound like UH and UT were comperable when they replied to my letter re:scholarship offers (I know, makes me sound arrogant, but I might as well be honest).  Besides, UT had everything that I liked about UH except more and better.  So, the ONLY reason to choose UH is just to stay in Houston, and that's not a good reason when it's the only reason.  UT has almost everything going for it.  How can I possibly turn it down?

90%  !!!???

::) 90-95% at any rate, it's so high that it's really just a matter of me committing and sending them money.  Only then will it be 100%

12(e)

• Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
 :D

EDIT: plat deleted; I swear I'm not talking to myself.

nowayman

• "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
Couldn't help but look around and wonder who on this board was there. Tried to put your tiny avatar picture to a face tralala haha.

Hey... I remember that conversation...

Check my avatar.

Preemptive defense: I'm not that weird.  I was on 3 hours of sleep, a 3 hour drive, and 4 energy drinks.  :)   

LonghornDUG

I think that is a huge reason that people don't leave Texas after graduation -- it's not that they can't, it's that they just don't want to.

What we think (I do agree with you.) is not the point, though.  Why did they not have data on hand for people like the guy I talked to who was comparing UT to Penn?  He has family on the east coast, connections in DC, and an east-coast-ivy-undergrad alumni network.  Truly, were he to come here he would likely leave Texas after graduation, but nothing in the marketing for prospective students provided any hard numbers about how much help he'd get from UT Career Services / UT's reputation / UT alumni in finding work out east.  It's quite likely that many in that 35% out-of-state group are going to be in a similar position.  Why no consideration for them?  If we're going to have out-of-staters in our fabulous state-supported institution, don't we want the best and brightest?

Agreed.  They're in an odd position (being a state school in the south), and they probably should have some sort of stat for "percentage who wanted to leave who were able to find jobs exactly where they wanted to" or something to that effect.

Hey... I remember that conversation...

Check my avatar.

Preemptive defense: I'm not that weird.  I was on 3 hours of sleep, a 3 hour drive, and 4 energy drinks.  :)   

haha. I likewise was on 3 hours of sleep and a 3 hour drive, but my energy came from bad roadside coffee.

To be honest, I cannot think of any good way for UT to portray themselves as a more national school.  I definitely start thinking something is rotten when a school starts making new statistics such as "Did you get a job offer out of state if you wanted one?"  If they started doing all sorts of statistics along those lines, it would look more suspicious that they were trying to cover up for something.

I believe they did state that 60% of the recruiting firms are from out of state.

Currently, if you want a job outside of Texas, they can probably get you one easy enough.  Texas' presence in the top 20 law schools virtually guarantees that possibility.