Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who ISN'T going to the highest-ranked school they got into? Why?  (Read 8180 times)

tulpen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who ISN'T going to the highest-ranked school they got into? Why?
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2006, 12:00:30 AM »
I think I'm going to Cardozo over Fordham and UT. I don't think I can attend UT due to family reasons and Cardozo offered me $$. I don't know though, I change my mind every day  :)

stardb02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2006, 09:44:53 AM »
Possibly turning down UVA at full sticker price to go to W&M for about $7k/year.  Is this crazy?

XelaWho

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2006, 10:22:51 AM »
I think I am going to Notre Dame (which is actually my lowest ranked school) over GW, USC, and Vandy because it will be about $80,000 cheaper, but I don't think there is that much of a difference between all these schools (Everyone knows the rankings are abitrary and ridiculous).

W&M @ 7K sounds like a reasonable decision over full-priced UVA especially if you want to work in that region.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2006, 10:30:34 AM »
Possibly turning down UVA at full sticker price to go to W&M for about $7k/year.  Is this crazy?

Possibly. If you want to stay local and make good money, maybe not. If you want to do public interest or work in biglaw, maybe. UVA has an excellent LRAP.

stardb02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2006, 11:46:36 AM »

Possibly. If you want to stay local and make good money, maybe not. If you want to do public interest or work in biglaw, maybe. UVA has an excellent LRAP.

Are you saying here that I can't make good money and stay local?  Local is in "williamsburg" or local as in the region?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
After visiting schools last week, I'm leaning Penn over CCN.

Reasons:
1. As of now, I'm interested in a pretty specific path (in house counsel for a global communications company) and Penn has 1a) The Wharton certificate 2a) the Annenberg School of Communication (the best MA in comm in the country).

2. I don't know that I would want to live in NY (Blasphemy! Off w her head!) Moving in NY would involve quite a bit of lifestyle changes that I'm not sure I'm prepared for.

3. I want professors who are friendly, accessible & helpful both in and outside of class.

Am I totally nuts for thinking this? Is there really that big of a gaping hole btw CCN & Penn?

How is it possible I've not run into you before?!  Yay to a fellow communications person! 

Def the faculty at Penn seems more friendly than at some of the other places you mention... BUT Columbia does have a center for law and media: http://www.law.columbia.edu/center_program/kernochan

I may well be moving OUT of New York for Penn, and I'll be sad to leave (although I know I'll be back after LS).  There literally is something for everyone in New York; you can have whatever lifestyle you want (well, except a cheap one)... it just depends on the neighborhood you live in.  The fact that I can get a cute studio/ one bedroom in Philly for what I pay now to share in Brooklyn is definitely a big selling point... I honestly can't say what I'll do if a CN acceptance comes...

I didn't see myself as the type of person to do anything at a business school, but how can anyone resist the Wharton certificate?   ;)

And gosh Penn has a gorgeous campus... if we both end up there, we have to start a Media Law society! 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2006, 12:21:19 AM »
Maybe Whitter (T4) full scholarship, over Pepperdine (T2) if they don't give me any money...  ??? I don't know though... the decision is driving me batty!  :o
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2006, 10:00:52 AM »
Am I totally nuts for thinking this? Is there really that big of a gaping hole btw CCN & Penn?
[/quote]

No to the first question; depends to the second.

First of all, let me say that I love living in NYC, but, despite the fact that it would mean breaking a lease and leaving a long-term relationship, I can see the attraction of not living here during LS--mainly financial. The student housing at both CLS and NYU are great, but still smaller and pricier than what you'd get at Penn; and I don't know what food, etc. really costs in Philly, but I know it's cheaper.

The prestige/opportunities factor: since you don't seem want to be a prof. or clerk, I think you'd be fine. You'll certainly be able to get some sort of great job.
Michigan Law Class of 2009

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2006, 10:06:31 AM »

Sorry, but I think it kind of is. See other comments on LRAP, plus 21k more of debt compared with your LS debt overall will be more than made up by the salary boost you'd get from UVA, provided you do reasonably well there.(Admittedly I haven't done the exhaustive research to fully back this up. But, I mean, it's a T14 vs. a not-even T25)
Michigan Law Class of 2009

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2006, 10:50:17 AM »
After visiting schools last week, I'm leaning Penn over CCN.

Reasons:
1. As of now, I'm interested in a pretty specific path (in house counsel for a global communications company) and Penn has 1a) The Wharton certificate 2a) the Annenberg School of Communication (the best MA in comm in the country).

2. I don't know that I would want to live in NY (Blasphemy! Off w her head!) Moving in NY would involve quite a bit of lifestyle changes that I'm not sure I'm prepared for.

3. I want professors who are friendly, accessible & helpful both in and outside of class.

Demingh, seems like you have very clear, very sound reasons to choose Penn over CCN.  I think it's clear that Penn would be better for you than CCN, and the Penn name is more than strong enough to land you that job you want at a global communications company (now by communications, do you mean telecom, or public relations?).  Best of luck.
Yale.Law.School.2010