Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS: Grading curve and competetiveness?  (Read 754 times)

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
NYLS: Grading curve and competetiveness?
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
Anyone have any info about the grading curve and the general competetiveness of the students at New York Law School?

I'm trying to decide between Cal Western and NYLS...and no matter where I go, I would like to transfer after my first year. 

muhlryan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYLS: Grading curve and competetiveness?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:27:53 PM »
I remember reading that NYLS has a B or B- curve.  I guess it depends on where you want to practice, east coast or west coast.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »
Eventually I woud like to make it back to Los Angeles (where I'm from), but Cal Western provides few (if any) opportunities in  LA, and not even too much in SD. It seems like starting in NYC then moving back to LA would make sense...dunno  though.

help

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
I am considering New York Law as well. There is a fairly large attrition rate there for academic reasons, leading me to believe there is a harsh grading curve. However, they do have a Comprehehsive Curriculum Program that leads me to believe it is a very supportive environment at NYLS. I am considering NYLS even more now that my previous first choice Hofstra has fallen out of Tier 2 :-\

Fidelio

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:57:53 PM »
I also heard about their abysmal grading curve which is prevalent amongst Tier 3 and Tier 4 schools.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:27:45 PM »
Do you think that a harsh grading curve comes with the territory in terms of attending a tier 3-4 school?? I mean...so far it seems like all tier 3-4 schools have a pretty harsh curve....I guess it's something that cant be avoided.

help

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 08:34:18 AM »
Yea, I am wondering about this myself. Sure, New York Law has a higher attrition rate, but then again, if you look at the numbers on lsac, they also matriculate more students than most law schools. I don't know what to think.

muhlryan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »
I do know that NYLS is in a gourgeous part of the city, so that might help with a decision.  I have heard some complaints about the grading curve.  I actually know someone who went there his first year and then transfered to Villanova.  As long as you finish the year at the top of your class, that's always a possibility as well.