Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepting at a school sight unseen (USC vs. Vandy)?  (Read 904 times)

anise

• View Profile
Re: Accepting at a school sight unseen (USC vs. Vandy)?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 02:26:18 PM »
 To tell you the truth, I met many nice ppl in New Orleans, but I could also tell that some ppl, not necessarily from NO but from Alabama/Mississippi/etc. had sort of a strange reaction/look on their faces when I said I was from CA... I don't want to say they have an inferiority complex or anything, but it almost seemed like it put distance between us, as if they took a step back and got more reserved, like they weren't sure if they could trust me or something.  Then again, that is the stereotype... and I can't say 100% that I experienced it there... but I think I got a hint of it.  

haha. Yeah, I wouldn't say that because coming from a mixed Californian/Southern family I can say that many southerners look down at people from California (mostly SoCal). Fair? No. True? Often in my experience. My parents still cry at night that my sister and I both married California boys.  ;D

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »
In addition to where you want to live for the next three years, where do you want to live after law school.  I would bite the bullet, put deposits at both schools and visit. 
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 02:46:31 PM »
Just one more thing to consider -- COL is way less in TN, so they don't have to "match" USC's offer to be competitive, or even better, when it comes to total costs.

Also, your education is about more than the classroom -- it might be educative to spend 3 yrs in a new place, experiencing a different culture, etc. Vandy is national enough to get you back to CA, if that's what you want.

And don't be afraid of getting "stuck" in TN. If you lay down roots or become attached, then you won't want to leave -- so being "stuck" there won't be a negative after all.

Sounds like you've got some great options -- I don't really think you can go wrong in choosing between the two.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »
definitely visit.  i'm originally from the west, and i went to undergrad in kentucky, which can't quite decide on whether it wants to be southern or not, but there were lots of people from the south.  i've also spent some time in nashville, albeit, only a couple weeks.  it's definitely a different culture.  being from SoCal, i would think the differences would be even more magnified, and you might have a difficult time adjusting.  i'm not a fan, but you should definitely check it out if only to get a superficial feeling for it. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 03:02:28 PM »
I just visited Nashville a couple of weeks ago.  I was pleasantly surprised by the city. Although, I didn't visit Vanderbilt, it made me wish I at least applied instead of being stuck in my preconceived notions about what Nashville was like. (Not saying that I would of gotten in, of course.) Oh well, c'est la vie, however, I will say it is vastly different from Southern California as you know, just two completely different feels. I think it is going to come down to what will be a better personal fit for you, that is simply why you need to visit both.
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
Yeah, I think Nashville would be a pretty interesting city because it's progressive in a sea of red and because of the music industry. I also like the fact that there are a lot of parks and the weather seems pleasant. And the cost of living would be a big relief coming from LA and San Francisco.

Are there bohemians and artists in Nashville?

It sucks that there's no baseball or basketball team but you can't have everything.

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 03:22:29 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't say that because coming from a mixed Californian/Southern family I can say that many southerners look down at people from California (mostly SoCal).

Are they snobs or do they think Southern Californians are flakes? Because it's true. Northern Californians think LA is a joke, and it is.

anise

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »
All of the above. :)

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 04:47:40 PM »
It sucks that there's no baseball or basketball team but you can't have everything.

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/

Minor League, baby!

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 05:36:21 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't say that because coming from a mixed Californian/Southern family I can say that many southerners look down at people from California (mostly SoCal).

Are they snobs or do they think Southern Californians are flakes? Because it's true. Northern Californians think LA is a joke, and it is.

I guess it's a good thing I'm from OC then huh?  ;)

haha.. for a minute I was actually going to post back and say something not so nice, but this is just good for a laugh more than anything else.