Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USNWR 2007 rankings CONFIRMED, REAL; from xoxo  (Read 38892 times)

jjason2

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USNWR 2007 rankings CONFIRMED, REAL, from xoxo
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
Man.. Hofstra was #95 in T2 and supposedly climbing. Now T3?? Ughh.
The went FROM 3.06-3.68 GPA 155-159 LSAT
TO 3.03-3.64 155-160
Bar pass up from 64% to 66%
Acceptance rate from 26.9% to 38% acceptance rate. Did THIS do them in???

Oh well. I still like Hofstra!

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2006, 06:19:39 PM »
Im convinced
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
Man, if this is for real it is really hard to take in because all the schools where I was accepted dropped in rank. I liked the fake version better where Cornell was above Northwestern.  :'( :'( As another poster noted, schools always move up and down and your decision should be based on the program, community, and job prospects.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2006, 06:32:37 PM »
tag

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2006, 06:42:41 PM »
Hastings took a hit....it doesn't make sense to me really.   Their peer assessment score and lawyers/judges is so much higher than the other schools they are tied with.  Their LSAT and GPA are generally higher.  Their bar passage rate is high (relative to the CA state numbers) and it went up from last year.  The only numbers that aren't great are their job placement rates at graduation and student / faculty ratio, but THEY ARE ABOUT THE SAME AS LAST YEAR.....so why the drop ??

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »
I'm not asking to cast doubt on this set of rankings, but I'm  curious as to how Chicago has a score of 81, when Columbia/NYU have scores of 86. That's a pretty big drop, and looking across the categories, I don't see where Chicago loses the points.

Looking at Chicago, the first thing that hits me is GPA:

Chicago : 3.46 - 3.80, median (assuming its just the midpt coz too lazy to look up) = 3.63

NYU : 3.6-3.89, median = 3.75

CLS : 3.5 - 3.8, median 3.65

Chicago is actually really close to CLS in this, but compared to NYU a .12 diff in GPA seems significant

GPA although unimportant in admissions (seemingly) is 10% of the total score, which is pretty significant, the only categories that get more weight than GPA are LSAT and reputation rankings

Also, I was told that the bar passage scores are reported based in part on your jurisdiction's passage rates, so its better to have 95% in a 60% overall passage zone, than 95% in an 85% overall zone.  ALthough bar passage for all three schools is high, and Chicago is actually the highest, the fact that IL is much easier bar hurts it

Also, these page does not report things like expenditures per student (or is it per faculty?), and I don't have time to look it up now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago loses ground there too
HLS '09

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USNWR 2007 rankings CONFIRMED, REAL; from xoxo
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »
fake

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2006, 06:58:05 PM »
In fact, the US News ranking lists the 9month job placement data incorrectly when comparing it to the LSAC Guide.  In US NEWS, the figure is listed as 91.7%.  But on LSAC, it is 92.3%, which isn't much of a difference, but the USNews methodology is to not count those seeking graduate degrees (another 2%) and to count 25% of those whose status is unknown as employed -- thats 25% of another 5.3%.  So really, the figure for Hastings should be more like 95%, which would make a huge difference in the rankings and set it up a couple of places, just with this one factor alone.  

And LSAC doesn't post placement rates at graduation, so who know where else it's flawed.  Furthermore, if US news went by the July Bar passage rates from 2005, which most graduates take, the figure would be 84%.  Hastings beat out USC and came close to Boalt. For such a big school, this is highly impressive and shows best how good of a school it is.  But perhaps these numbers will be reflected on next year's rankings....oh well

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2006, 06:59:17 PM »
Hastings took a hit....it doesn't make sense to me really.   Their peer assessment score and lawyers/judges is so much higher than the other schools they are tied with.  Their LSAT and GPA are generally higher.  Their bar passage rate is high (relative to the CA state numbers) and it went up from last year.  The only numbers that aren't great are their job placement rates at graduation and student / faculty ratio, but THEY ARE ABOUT THE SAME AS LAST YEAR.....so why the drop ??

Yea, you know I feel your pain in the HAstings drop.  I am really surprised about it tho( if these are correct)  I wonder what it was, also I like how all UC's except cal went down. If these are true I lose any respect I may have secretly held for the rankings.  I mean all these ties?  That is b.s! What is the point of ranking them if 4+ schools are number 43?  and 5+ schools take up "ranks".  These ( in general) are b.s....

But I have no shame in mentioning that if Hastings had gone up I would be getting HIFEY.  8)  One of the earlier threads had one in which hastings moved up to 33 and  I like that one the best  :D
There's no homework in Law School

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »
fake

an 11 page scan is very unlikely to be fake
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon