Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In State vs Out of State admissions standards?  (Read 2455 times)

umd blue devil

• AOL Instant Messenger - umd+blue+devil
    • View Profile
    • Email
In State vs Out of State admissions standards?
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:47:54 PM »
Does anyone know if Virginia or Michigan gives a lot of weight to be in state vs out of state when it comes to admission? I know they do get a preference but is it a big deal? I know for undergrad the UC schools like UCLA are very hard out of state but ok if you are instate. Was curious how it played at UVA and Mich law. Thanks.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In State vs Out of State admissions standards?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:15:28 AM »
All I know is I'm bitter.  I'm on the out of state general waitlist, even though I've lived about 90% of my life in VA, only leaving for the last two years to be with my wife while she's finishing her UChicago PhD. 

In my waitlist email, they said "We received more than 4,000 non-resident applications for the 200 non-resident seats in the entering class. The median undergraduate grade-point average and LSAT score for all candidates offered admission to date are 3.75 and 171."  Holy crap, I don't have a frozen margarita's chance in hell.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 01:38:53 AM »
Does anyone know if Virginia or Michigan gives a lot of weight to be in state vs out of state when it comes to admission? I know they do get a preference but is it a big deal? I know for undergrad the UC schools like UCLA are very hard out of state but ok if you are instate. Was curious how it played at UVA and Mich law. Thanks.

At both schools, there is a (minor) in-state preference; I have heard that in-state applicants at UVa get roughly a 1-2 point LSAT bump. There is more of an advantage at Michigan, but the % of in-state students at Michigan is very low, 25% if my information is correct, so the overall effect on the non-resident pool is not that great.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 12:55:03 PM »
Hey, its even worse at average law schools. UNM wouldn't even touch me and I am pretty high in their indexes. At UW, the average out-of-stater has my scores and the in-stater has scores that are barely competitve anywhere, like 150s and 3.0s.