Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: deposits/asking for more time protocol?  (Read 577 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
deposits/asking for more time protocol?
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »
I have two acceptances, and deposits for both schools are due April 15th. Only problem is that I am still waiting on 5 other apps which are at schools I'd probably rather attend... I will most likely have no more than 2 weeks (if that) to make a decision, assuming the schools get back to me starting April 1st. Can I ask the schools to which I have been admitted for an extension on the decision? Can I politely see if they can up the scholarship $? What is the protocol?
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: deposits/asking for more time protocol?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »
If you are still waiting on schools to respond, chances are that you will end up with a waitlist offer, or a rejection.  Either way, you'll need to accept one of your existing offers if you want to go to school this year.  There is a remote chance that one of the outstanding applications will end with an accept, but I wouldn't play those odds.

If you make a deposit to the "best" school you know has accepted you, and later get in at a preferred school, you can always just kiss the $200ish goodbye and go to the preferred school.  That's what basially happens with folks who're on the waitlist.

If you want more money, most schools will make a consideration if another school has made you a better offer, and they are a comparable or better school.  You just have to talk with the Financial Aid office and see what they'll do.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 01:40:03 PM »
How long can you expect to wait? I submitted apps the last few days of February and was told 4-6 weeks was a normal wait, which gives them till April 1st. Would you say that is a long wait for an acceptance?

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 01:45:14 PM »
baff
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:50:28 PM »
I contacted a couple schools I am still waiting on responses from.  They all basically said the same thing.  "We received a large number of applications this year and are still going throug them.  We spend a lot of time on each application.  We can only guarantee that we will let you know by April 15."  One actually said that while they are still evaluating them, that almost any response still to be issued will be a waitlist or rejection.

April 15 is the magic date when most schools require a deposit, so its also the date schools use as the guaranteed date when they'll let you know their offer.  If a school really wanted to admit you, they would have let you know by the 15th of March, so you could plan on attending a visitation day.

Right now, the schools are just playing the waiting game with the last few borderline candidates, hoping that those who are going to withdraw their application do so quickly, so they can make offers to the borderline cases without offending them by saying their a waitlist candidate, then making it a real offer a couple weeks later.

dahlia5365

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:00:34 PM »
not that i completely disagree with felson, but i think it also depends on which schools you're waiting for.  i know that some schools (like hastings, the one i'm waiting for) had their app deadline at the beginning of march which, admissions office said, pushed them back by about a month behind the other schools as far as completing their review.

SO, these types of schools have in the past, and there's a good chance will, accept people in april as well.

or this could just be me and my wishful thinking.....

i do agree that it pretty much means you're gonna have to cough up a deposit for an already accepted school and risk losing it if your preferred choice comes around.  but i'm hoping that my backup will extend my deposit deadline as well...we'll see.
yay!: UW, UH Manoa, USF, UC Davis
boo!: Boalt, BU
???: Hastings  (hurry UP!!!)

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:04:51 PM »
I contacted a couple schools I am still waiting on responses from.  They all basically said the same thing.  "We received a large number of applications this year and are still going throug them.  We spend a lot of time on each application.  We can only guarantee that we will let you know by April 15."  One actually said that while they are still evaluating them, that almost any response still to be issued will be a waitlist or rejection.

April 15 is the magic date when most schools require a deposit, so its also the date schools use as the guaranteed date when they'll let you know their offer.  If a school really wanted to admit you, they would have let you know by the 15th of March, so you could plan on attending a visitation day.

Right now, the schools are just playing the waiting game with the last few borderline candidates, hoping that those who are going to withdraw their application do so quickly, so they can make offers to the borderline cases without offending them by saying their a waitlist candidate, then making it a real offer a couple weeks later.

wrong.  unc's deadline was feb 1 and they say theyll make decisions by may.  uga says theyll make decisions by may/june.  bama says end of april. et. etc. etc.  theres nothing special about April 15

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:36:12 PM »
personally, I think it is a bit sick of them not to respond immediately!!!!

My 2x daily trips to the P.O. are getting exhausting. Perhaps if I made them fitness walks?

Oh my, I am brilliant. From now on the only way I am allowed to check the mail is if I walk to the post office. At least now SOME good will come from this obsession.

nesnut

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law School is thiiiiiiiis big!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:34:48 AM »
this blows- not only do I need to put the downpayment down to secure scholarship $$$ by April 1, but the entire thing is needed to be placed on the housing list...and I'm still waiting on 5 schools.  (Anger is rising....)
- P-dub Club: Minister of Entertainment & Recreation
 - Keeper of the Konami Code
 - Co-Founder & Supreme Chancellor: Kick Ass 80s Law Firm: The Law Offices of KTJA & Nesnut,  APC
 - Official Rant-Master of LSD
 - Head of Harem (per Lily)
 - Official Purveyor of Soup of the Revolution

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:48:51 AM »
Yep, I think it is a bit inconsiderate. But I suppose we are entirely at their mercy so oh well.

At this rate, I'm on to Willamette