Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Willamette--What is it like? Tips? Etc.  (Read 806 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Willamette--What is it like? Tips? Etc.
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
I received my admissions to Willamette$$ and Cleveland Marshall, and since I live in Ohio a visit to Willamette is somewhat impractical. Does anyone have any thoughts about it, have you seen or heard about it? I am still waiting on 5 pending apps but I want to at least start picking a favorite based on my options. Any idea of the schools reputation?
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

snowbird

• View Profile
Re: Willamette--What is it like? Tips? Etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »
I don't know a lot but I live in the Seattle and know a bit. A lot of judges and local politicians around here graduated from there, including Congressman Jay Inslee (D-WA) among others. The school is literally across the street from the OR legislature, which only meets every other year. It's near Portland, which is a beautiful, hip, progressive city. You won't have trouble finding a job in the Northwest with a degree from Willamette. What is most important, perhaps, is the pronunciation: Will-AM-it, *not* Will-a-MET.
going to University of Washington (with some $) in the fall!

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the info!!! I'll start practicing the name right now :) That is very good to know. Is Salem pretty?

jashdey

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
Salem is not pretty.  Well, there are parts of Salem that are, and the area where the school is is nice (IIRC), but Salem itself is icky.  Lots of strip development, overdevelopment in general, and run down areas.  But hey, you get the State Penitentiary *and* the State Fair, so that's a bonus. ;)

Also, just so you know, Salem is about a half hour from Portland proper, and Salem's politics are nothing like Portland's, if that matters.

Of course, you'll be in law school, so probably won't have time to get to Portland that much, anyway.  :D

carlylerun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 03:17:13 PM »
I attended Willamette for undergrad. The campus is very pretty with a river in the shaper of a W. There's quite a bit of grass around the campus, and the law school building is nice, if utilitarian. I would have liked a plusher environment, however there is a nice library to study in. The social life is limited, and the Salem area is very edgy. Willamette has very solid name recognition in the NW for law, and is considered decent - although I do not understand the T4 rating. It's not a T1, however maybe (in my opinion a T2) due to the quality professors.

Good Luck

I Poop On My Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:06:32 PM »
I'll be applying in the next cycle and I want to move out to Oregon, so I'm going to apply to all the schools there.  I'm also wondering if anyone has any further information about Willamette...

I've heard that Willamette used to be considered the best LS in Oregon, but its rep was tarnished in the 80s and 90s by bad management and falling student quality.  The rep is supposed to be on the way back up recently.

Ask different people about schools in Oregon and you seem to get all kinds of different answers, but there are definitely some Willamette loyalists.  Some people think that since the job market is so tight, Willamette grads have a tough time vs. the two T2 schools in the state.  Some people say L&C is the best LS in the state by far; these people tend to dislike the U of O.  On the other hand, the U of O has the best USN ranking and seems to split the Portland market with L&C; most big firms take their local people from U of O and L&C.  People from Willamette in big firms tend to be magna cum laude or something like that, and they're few and far between.

Willamette tends to have salary numbers on par with other T4s.  Maybe a lot of its grads take government jobs?

Everyone seems to agree that the legal job market in Portland sucks, that salaries are low vs. cost of living, and that a lot of t14 people come to town to take all the good jobs.  Is this true, or is it just grumbling from people who always think the grass is greener on the other side?

As for your decision, I would think Marshall and Willamette are similar schools in terms of how they're situated in their market.  The salaries seem better in Cleveland and there might be more jobs there.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 05:16:22 PM »
Thank you for your analysis! Very helpful. I wasn't aware they dropped to T4... where do you find these rankings?

jubilee27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:46:24 PM »
I recently visited Willamette (and the entire Oregon area) for the first time. I live in Alaska and from an outsider's view, it was nice. I did not find the city to be unbearable. They have a Target, which is more than I can say for Anchorage.

One thing I noticed was how unbelievably nice everyone was. Even the gas station attendants were friendly (and they pump your gas for you). It did rain most of the time I was there, but it was still pretty! Lots of trees everywhere, especially on campus. But I have still not decided if I will attend there or if I'll be heading to Seattle.

Was there a particular program that most interested you at Willamette?

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 11:28:18 PM »
I am really interested in their Dispute Resolution and International Law programs. Both sound great! I applied to Seattle as well, so I am waiting for that to make a decision.

jubilee27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
I, too, was interested in the international law program. But it seems that Seattle has more classes in that concentration, at least that I would want to take. And there's always the Writing program at Seattle. Let me know what you decide!