Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"  (Read 2331 times)

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 05:26:29 PM »
do i have bargaining power if i was accepted to a higher ranked school where i would receive in-state tuition (more than $10k cheaper), but was offered no money there?

Not a lot, I'd say, but if they want you, they'll make an offer.

Try.  Worst case scenario is that they say "no".

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »
Also, I told them I lost the reply forms (which I did).  That makes it necessary to send an email.

SantiV

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 05:31:38 PM »
Thanks Paddy.  What if I'm not letting them know of any other scholarships from other schools.  What if I'm really withdrawing, and I'm ok with it, but I'd actually consider if they gave me $$$.  What would you say in such an e-mail.  Just something like, "thanks, but it's hard to pass up other offers at other schools and pay full tuition here", in a much nicer way?
I just want to withdraw from my schools, but I'm not sure what to say in the e-mail. thanks for any help

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »
Paddy, that letter is incredible. i wont copy/paste, but the tone you used was great. i'll be sending a version of this letter to a couple of my choices and see what they say...
Iowa Law Class of '09

Saget

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 08:10:31 PM »
I didn't withdraw in hopes of squeezing money out of anyone, but I had heard it was not uncommon for law schools to up their offer. Now that I have actually sent my withdrawal e-mails I can safely say that this does happen. I did not go as far as to ask for more money from anyone, I did say, however, that economics played a part in my decision. I should be thrilled but now I feel I'm back at square one.
I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then - whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again, and they won't be able to forget me - ever.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks Paddy.  What if I'm not letting them know of any other scholarships from other schools.  What if I'm really withdrawing, and I'm ok with it, but I'd actually consider if they gave me $$$.  What would you say in such an e-mail.  Just something like, "thanks, but it's hard to pass up other offers at other schools and pay full tuition here", in a much nicer way?
I just want to withdraw from my schools, but I'm not sure what to say in the e-mail. thanks for any help

Just emphasize that finances play a significant role in your decision.  Something like "though I would certainly prefer to attend [law school], financial considerations, as they stand now, almost certainly would prevent me from accepting the offer of enrollment."

See the subtlely there?  "As they stand now" leaves the door open for them to tip the scales by putting some money on the table.  If the school you're going to is ranked significantly lower, don't mention it unless they ask.  Even then, say that you're still examining your options. Obviously if the school of your choice is ranked on the same level or higher, it can only help your case to mention it.  Either way if they really want you, I think they'll put up some dough.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 11:03:07 PM »
Paddy, that letter is incredible. i wont copy/paste, but the tone you used was great. i'll be sending a version of this letter to a couple of my choices and see what they say...

Glad to be of assistance.

Good luck.

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »
I told a certain dean of admissions that I would have to withdraw from her school, as I could not attend for financial reasons.  She promptly informed me that I could get more money, and told me to write her a letter.  Nice.

mdawg23

• View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »
Washington $ Lee.  They emailed me to tell me they weren't giving me any scholarship money, so I emailed them back and told them (very politely) that I couldn't consider their school when I had such generous scholarship offers from similarly-ranked schools and that I'd rather open up my spot to someone who might really be considering W&L.  10 minutes later, I had an email from Andrea Hilton Howe asking if I would keep them under consideration if she could "shake down some funds" for me.  I'm not sure yet how much she has shaken loose.
In: UGA ($), Florida, NOTRE DAME! ($$), Washington & Lee, Illinois ($$$), Emory ($$$)
Waitlist: Vanderbilt
Out: Georgetown
Still Waiting:UNC

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 12:31:01 PM »
Washington $ Lee.  They emailed me to tell me they weren't giving me any scholarship money, so I emailed them back and told them (very politely) that I couldn't consider their school when I had such generous scholarship offers from similarly-ranked schools and that I'd rather open up my spot to someone who might really be considering W&L.  10 minutes later, I had an email from Andrea Hilton Howe asking if I would keep them under consideration if she could "shake down some funds" for me.  I'm not sure yet how much she has shaken loose.

I'd guess you'll hear back from them the week of 4/10.  Seat deposits for scholarship recipients are due 4/3; give them a week or so to sort out who's coming, who's not, and how much $$ they have left over, then hopefully you should hear from them - they seem to be pretty quick about making things happen. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .