Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"  (Read 2234 times)

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »
so what does your cardozo offer add up to in total?  30k, or more?  what are your #'s?

GO TO HELL!!!!

Sorry...knee-jerk reaction.  Sorry, but I don't give out my numbers.  It's for the best.

Right now their offer stands at $30K.  I'm in the process of negotiating a few thousand more to fully cover tuition and a living stipend.

fauxsheesy

• AOL Instant Messenger - fauxsheesy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
so what does your cardozo offer add up to in total?  30k, or more?  what are your #'s?

GO TO HELL!!!!

Sorry...knee-jerk reaction.  Sorry, but I don't give out my numbers.  It's for the best.

Right now their offer stands at $30K.  I'm in the process of negotiating a few thousand more to fully cover tuition and a living stipend.

that's a hair-trigger case of tourettes you've got there paddy. 

90% GMU Bound
10% Waiting...

shoppingaddict

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »

how did you guys all withdraw from cardozo? did you send a letter then get a call offering you more money? or did you call, or what? i havent withdrawn from anywhere yet and i dont really know what do to.
Cardozo '09

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 04:06:38 PM »

how did you guys all withdraw from cardozo? did you send a letter then get a call offering you more money? or did you call, or what? i havent withdrawn from anywhere yet and i dont really know what do to.

Email Rob Schwartz.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 04:09:20 PM »

GO TO HELL!!!!

that's a hair-trigger case of tourettes you've got there paddy. 

I laughed.   :)

shoppingaddict

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 04:24:32 PM »
 what exactly do you say in a "withdrawing" email? do you tell them where you're going instead or offer some kind of reason?
Cardozo '09

njlawbound

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 04:45:09 PM »
how does cardozo have so much money to throw around compared to other schools?
it's not like they have a lot of alumni

they are offering a lot more money then other lower ranked schools i have been accepted to

SantiV

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
what exactly do you say in a "withdrawing" email? do you tell them where you're going instead or offer some kind of reason?

Yes, I'd like to know this too.  Some of the schools I've been accepted to have forms for withdrawing.  Otherwise, what do I say in an e-mail.  Thank them, and tell them that I'm going elsewhere?  How can I mold it so it says "I'm still a bit open to $$$ if you'd like to throw some".  Any help on how to W would be appreciated. thanks.

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 05:04:42 PM »
Anything special these emails should say?

Should I explicity state something like... "i've received better scholarship offers from comparable schools," or any other reasons?  Or just keep it cut-and-dry and see if they make a move?

Thanks.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 05:19:21 PM »
isn't there a tactful way of asking for more money without threatening to withdraw?  seems dangerous to me to withdraw unless you know for sure they'll offer you more money.

Here's an example of an email I wrote:

Dear Ms Walton,

Let me say that I am thrilled to have been accepted to Rutgers, and even more so to have been awarded a Dean's Scholarship.  Rutgers is my alma mater, and uneqivocally my first choice of all the schools to which I have applied.  In fact, I had gone so far as to write the check for my tuition deposit and seal the envelope.  It is only in the last hour that I feel myself wavering in my decision to attend.

Having just spoken to the admissions office at the St. John's University, I was informed that I had been awarded a scholarship for full tuition.  While the prospect of not attending Rutgers is a decidedly unpleseant one, I cannot overlook the significance this new offer brings.  However, I also cannot accept their offer until I know for certain that Rutgers will not match it.

So, my question is, what is the proper procedure for re questing an adjustment in my scholarship offer?

I anxiously await your response.

Sincerely,

PaddyWack

It worked.  Just be corteous and straightforward.   Don't come off as demanding.