Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"  (Read 2367 times)

Saget

• View Profile
Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:52:12 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has sent a withdrawal letter and gotten a "we really want you here's 10 grand" response. Which schools?
I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then - whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again, and they won't be able to forget me - ever.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any "I withdrew and then they upped their ante stories?"
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »
Cardozo.  It seemed to be a very common occurance last year.

fauxsheesy

• AOL Instant Messenger - fauxsheesy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 11:57:04 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has sent a withdrawal letter and gotten a "we really want you here's 10 grand" response. Which schools?

when i wd at cardozo, dean schwartz responded "our loss"...  asked if a scholarship would help.  supposedly he will offer me some $$ love once they know how seat deposits are going.  i'm intrigued, but not hopeful.  nyc costs ridiculous $$$.
90% GMU Bound
10% Waiting...

Saget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 11:58:16 AM »
Hahah that's actually why I started this thread. A friend of mine withdrew from Cardozo last year and they actually replied "we really want you here's 10 grand" (over and above the full scholarship she had been awarded." Just wondering if this sweetening the deal is a common practice.
I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then - whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again, and they won't be able to forget me - ever.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »
I withdrew from everywhere but my final school. I got no 'extra bling' offers. I got one school who still thinks I'm not withdrawn, even though I wrote to make sure they had it processed (Seattle) and who just last week called to ask if I had any questions about the area as an admitted student.

I have another school (Lewis and Clark) who sent me a nice email about being sorry I was withdrawing, then sent a letter from the admissions director with a 'why did you choose to not attend' question sheet.

And yet another, Willamette, where they keep sending me 'please let us know if you're interested... you can still COOOOOME here!' letters.

UW never bothered to do anything except confirm my withdrawl - but I probably wasn't going to get in there anyways, so I doubt I'm on their list of 'let's get him to change his mind!' list.

So in my experience, withdrawing in hopes of more money would be risky business.

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »
I withdrew from everywhere but my final school. I got no 'extra bling' offers. I got one school who still thinks I'm not withdrawn, even though I wrote to make sure they had it processed (Seattle) and who just last week called to ask if I had any questions about the area as an admitted student.

I have another school (Lewis and Clark) who sent me a nice email about being sorry I was withdrawing, then sent a letter from the admissions director with a 'why did you choose to not attend' question sheet.

And yet another, Willamette, where they keep sending me 'please let us know if you're interested... you can still COOOOOME here!' letters.

UW never bothered to do anything except confirm my withdrawl - but I probably wasn't going to get in there anyways, so I doubt I'm on their list of 'let's get him to change his mind!' list.

So in my experience, withdrawing in hopes of more money would be risky business.

soo.... i shouldn't have withdrawn from all the places i applied to in hopes of further $$$?

CRAP! :o
Iowa Law Class of '09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
I had another school up their offer when I told them I needed more time to think.  (I told them that I was writing out my seat deposit check but wanted to know if it was binding.  They told me, don't send it in, we'll give you some time to think, and here's our new offer.)  Cardozo was the only school that tried to get me back after I withdrew.  I'm somewhat disappointed to hear your friend's story though.  I really liked Cardozo when I visited, and had a hard time withdrawing.  I had a $30K scholarship and they offered me more, but I thought "they only have about $4K more they can offer," so I told them thank you but no.  Now that I know that they gave someone $10K on top of full-tuition... dang.  I probably would have taken that offer in a heartbeat.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
I had another school up their offer when I told them I needed more time to think.  (I told them that I was writing out my seat deposit check but wanted to know if it was binding.  They told me, don't send it in, we'll give you some time to think, and here's our new offer.)  Cardozo was the only school that tried to get me back after I withdrew.  I'm somewhat disappointed to hear your friend's story though.  I really liked Cardozo when I visited, and had a hard time withdrawing.  I had a $30K scholarship and they offered me more, but I thought "they only have about $4K more they can offer," so I told them thank you but no.  Now that I know that they gave someone $10K on top of full-tuition... dang.  I probably would have taken that offer in a heartbeat.

What schoo offered you more time and a better offer?

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
Cardozo seems to have money to burn, or they're really trying to recruit good talent.

I withdrew, then they offered me $15K.  I said thanks, but no thanks, then they offered me $30K.  I just got a better offer and emailed the Dean again, asking them to up their offer.  We'll see what happens.  If they throw $10K into the mix, plus full tuition, I'm gonna have to do it.

I withdrew from Brooklyn Law, and the Dean called me and spent 10 mins trying to convince me to come there even though they couldn't come close to the offers I was getting.  It was kinda flattering, actually.

fauxsheesy

• AOL Instant Messenger - fauxsheesy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »
Cardozo seems to have money to burn, or they're really trying to recruit good talent.

I withdrew, then they offered me $15K.  I said thanks, but no thanks, then they offered me $30K.  I just got a better offer and emailed the Dean again, asking them to up their offer.  We'll see what happens.  If they throw $10K into the mix, plus full tuition, I'm gonna have to do it.

I withdrew from Brooklyn Law, and the Dean called me and spent 10 mins trying to convince me to come there even though they couldn't come close to the offers I was getting.  It was kinda flattering, actually.

so what does your cardozo offer add up to in total?  30k, or more?  what are your #'s?
90% GMU Bound
10% Waiting...