Law School Discussion

Anyone bringing a motorcycle to law school?

magnumalv

Re: Anyone bringing a motorcycle to law school?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 01:12:49 PM »
A Ninja 250 (which is what I have) is an excellent bike, but a lot of guys your size outgrow it pretty quickly, so if you want to go the Ninja route, I'd go with a 500 or higher. If you think you'll get serious about testing out those curves, tho, go with the Honda CBR600--fast, reliable, and handles beautifully--it's a lot of bike for a 600, tho, so be careful. I'd choose Honda over Suzuki or Yamaha, but it is more expensive.

The MLS suggestion is a good one--best to get some training before you head out into traffic. I never took one, but that's bc I started on dirt bikes at a young age and then rode with my dad on some seriously deserted back roads for a while before I got my own bike.

EDIT: dammit, guys, let me get a post in edgewise! i've tried to post this 5 times already! :D

AdiosLSD!

• let me in!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 01:16:36 PM »
A Ninja 250 (which is what I have) is an excellent bike, but a lot of guys your size outgrow it pretty quickly, so if you want to go the Ninja route, I'd go with a 500 or higher. If you think you'll get serious about testing out those curves, tho, go with the Honda CBR600--fast, reliable, and handles beautifully--it's a lot of bike for a 600, tho, so be careful. I'd choose Honda over Suzuki or Yamaha, but it is more expensive.

The MLS suggestion is a good one--best to get some training before you head out into traffic. I never took one, but that's bc I started on dirt bikes at a young age and then rode with my dad on some seriously deserted back roads for a while before I got my own bike.

EDIT: dammit, guys, let me get a post in edgewise! i've tried to post this 5 times already! :D

I ride an 04 CBR 600RR and love it.  That said, I don't think it's a wise choise for a beginner bike.  I have a friend who bought a SV650 for his first bike and it worked out really well for him.  Throttle is way more forgiving than the race bikes, and it's a step up from a Ninja 250 or 500. 

AdiosLSD!

• let me in!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 01:18:35 PM »
A MSF safety course is a must, I agree there, and if you can afford it track classes are a great way to learn how to properly handle your sportbike.

magnumalv

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 01:18:54 PM »
I ride an 04 CBR 600RR and love it.  That said, I don't think it's a wise choise for a beginner bike.  I have a friend who bought a SV650 for his first bike and it worked out really well for him.  Throttle is way more forgiving than the race bikes, and it's a step up from a Ninja 250 or 500. 

well, it would certainly be a Trial by Fire  :D

i learned on a CBR 600 with my dad on the back as "human training wheels"--I was good to go while moving, but couldn't reach the ground when I stopped  :D

magnumalv

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:19:48 PM »
oops, i meant MSF... i've been looking at houses, hence the MLS  ;D

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 01:20:15 PM »
A MSF safety course is a must, I agree there, and if you can afford it track classes are a great way to learn how to properly handle your sportbike.

I will likely be without the course if I want a bike this year.  In the DC metro area there is like a 1-2 year waitlist for those classes.  Absurd, right?

magnumalv

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »

I will likely be without the course if I want a bike this year.  In the DC metro area there is like a 1-2 year waitlist for those classes.  Absurd, right?

bummer. then i suggest finding a big empty parking lot and working on your bike handling at slow speeds--fast is easy, it's when you slow down that you get in trouble with a sport bike

Hobert

• Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 01:24:14 PM »

MSF is definitely a must.

The newer inline 4 600s are very fast, especially in the upper RPM ranges. I still remember the first day I hopped on my R6. It was insane compared to my 250. From what I hear the 06 R6 is quite a bit more powerfull than my 2000.

In addition to Ninja 250s, 500s, Suzuki GS500s, and SV650s, I have also read that the Kawasaki 650R is a good beginner bike and will replace the 500 in the lineup. It has a parallel twin like the 250 and 500, but looks alot more attractive and supposedly has much better suspension and braking components.

Slow Blues

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 01:26:20 PM »

Can you take in some other part of VA or MD, if only to get the experience?

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »
Nope, the entire DC metro area is booked solid.  Its absurd.  I grew up riding dirt bikes, but I figure this is going to be much different, no?