Law School Discussion

Anyone bringing a motorcycle to law school?

magnumalv

Re: Anyone bringing a motorcycle to law school?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »
I'm thinking the house route, as well. Even a carport would be better than leaving out in a parking lot. And I've always carried my books and laptop in a backpack and had no problems--and these were giant lit anthologies, too, so I think it'll be okay.

I want to buy a motorcycle for law school but I've never ridden one before. Which one should I buy? I want a sports bike or a cafe racer-type model for not a lot of money. I really like the looks of the old 1970s Honda CBs and the Yamaha SECA IIs. Any other models to suggest?

depends on where and how you'll be riding it and what you're looking for in a bike--gas mileage, speed, maneuvability, cruising or commuting? there are as many types of bikes, if not more than there are cars

Slow Blues

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 12:47:29 PM »
I want to buy a motorcycle for law school but I've never ridden one before. Which one should I buy? I want a sports bike or a cafe racer-type model for not a lot of money. I really like the looks of the old 1970s Honda CBs and the Yamaha SECA IIs. Any other models to suggest?

My first bike was actually a Yamaha Seca II. Excellent bike on which to learn. I don't have much experience with the vintage Hondas but older 600s are a good 1st bike. I would look at a Ninja 250 or maybe a 500 and the Suzuki GS500 as well. Take a MSF course if at all possible.

I gave mine up to save for school. It would've been nice to have it in a non-urban school though.

Does anyone follow MotoGP? I thought about starting an AMA/MotoGP thread in the off-topic section.

I follow MotoGP Premier class closely and watch the 250s often, AMA when I have free time... Until very recently, my avatar was Valentino.

The Jerez race was pretty good. I followed Pedrosa very closely last year and thought he would do well when he made the jump. Second in his first race was more than I expected.

I was not pleased with Hayden's finish. He always seems to finish in 3rd. Pedrosa probably would've been third himself if Tony Elias hadn't taken Mr. Rossi out on the first turn.

Do you think Ducati finally hit on a winning formula this year?

oldhat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »
depends on where and how you'll be riding it and what you're looking for in a bike--gas mileage, speed, maneuvability, cruising or commuting? there are as many types of bikes, if not more than there are cars

I want something that I can use to commute around LA or Nashville. Something with decent mileage and reliability but also something that isn't a total dog on curvey roads -- for the weekends.

magnumalv

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »
how big are you?

oldhat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 12:59:31 PM »
5'9", 160.

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 01:00:11 PM »
CBR 600, YZF R6, any suzuki 600.  All good starter bikes from what I can find.  I am in the process of buying my first.  Alot will have to do with what I get a deal on.

Anybody have any recommendations on cheap insurance?  I figure full coverage is a waste, its just too damn expensive.

Hobert

• Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »
I was not pleased with Hayden's finish. He always seems to finish in 3rd. Pedrosa probably would've been third himself if Tony Elias hadn't taken Mr. Rossi out on the first turn.

My friends and I here at work are constantly lamenting Nicky's finishes. He always seems to qualify better than he races. However, 3rd isn't a horrible way to start the season.

It seemed Ducati started to get things honed in at the end of last season. Loris did very well to close out the year. The off season tests seemed to prove even further that the Ducatis were on top of their game. I hope I am right and that Capirossi(Or Gibernau) can give Valentino some serious competition this season. It starts to get boring when the championship is clinched halfway through the year.

Hobert

• Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
CBR 600, YZF R6, any suzuki 600.  All good starter bikes from what I can find.  I am in the process of buying my first.  Alot will have to do with what I get a deal on.

Anybody have any recommendations on cheap insurance?  I figure full coverage is a waste, its just too damn expensive.

I would argue that new R6s, GSXR600s, and CBR600s are not great starter bikes. The newer ones have a ton of power. Personally, I am glad I learned and made my mistakes on a forgiving bike like my Ninja250.

Slow Blues

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »
CBR 600, YZF R6, any suzuki 600.  All good starter bikes from what I can find.  I am in the process of buying my first.  Alot will have to do with what I get a deal on.

I would argue that new R6s, GSXR600s, and CBR600s are not great starter bikes. The newer ones have a ton of power. Personally, I am glad I learned and made my mistakes on a forgiving bike like my Ninja250.

Agreed.

My friends and I here at work are constantly lamenting Nicky's finishes. He always seems to qualify better than he races. However, 3rd isn't a horrible way to start the season.

It seemed Ducati started to get things honed in at the end of last season. Loris did very well to close out the year. The off season tests seemed to prove even further that the Ducatis were on top of their game. I hope I am right and that Capirossi(Or Gibernau) can give Valentino some serious competition this season. It starts to get boring when the championship is clinched halfway through the year.

I think his relative lack of experience on these courses is probably partly to blame. Everyone else on the grid cut their teeth on these courses in the 125 and 250 classes, whereas Nicky knows American courses, which is why he was dominant @ Laguna Seca. He's the not the master the way Rossi is, but he is as talented as anyone else in the entire field, in my opinion.

Gibernau is cursed. He just is. I think you're right about Capirossi, and I think the Repsol boys will be really competitive. Melandri seems to have taken a big step back after leaving MoviStar. I think this'll be the best year in a while for MotoGP.

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »
Really?  I am a new rider and I didn't think there was too much power in the R6 or the 600F4i.  Also, I'm not lookin new.  More like 2000-2003.