Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my ex got into a better school - ughh  (Read 3052 times)

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
Re: my ex got into a better school - ughh
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006, 12:07:29 PM »
Ehh..I think law schools are well aware that applicants who score well on their LSATs are Mensa material. Almost all Top-20 school applicants qualify. It goes without saying. I'm a member of Mensa (got in based on my GMAT score). Yeah, it's attracted attention to my resume when I applied for jobs. But if you put it on a resume for LS, I think you will be evaluated based on your level of activity in it (it's an EC activity). Did you go to meetings/activities with all those senior citizens?

It really helps for job interviews?  I would have thought people would just think one was arrogant for even joining the organization.

It's not always arrogance / ego that motivates someone to join. There are people, like myself, who are actually interested in participating in some of the community assistance projects MENSA members organize; and they offer some fun activities. Is it arrogant to join NHS when your in highschool?

Okay, I've never heard of these activities, but I do think a lot of people (not necessarily you) DO join to stroke their own ego.

I fully agree. If all you're doing is carrying around your membership card for the sake of it, that's lame.

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »
Ehh..I think law schools are well aware that applicants who score well on their LSATs are Mensa material. Almost all Top-20 school applicants qualify. It goes without saying. I'm a member of Mensa (got in based on my GMAT score). Yeah, it's attracted attention to my resume when I applied for jobs. But if you put it on a resume for LS, I think you will be evaluated based on your level of activity in it (it's an EC activity). Did you go to meetings/activities with all those senior citizens?

It really helps for job interviews?  I would have thought people would just think one was arrogant for even joining the organization.

It's not always arrogance / ego that motivates someone to join. There are people, like myself, who are actually interested in participating in some of the community assistance projects MENSA members organize; and they offer some fun activities. Is it arrogant to join NHS when your in highschool?

I didn't know they did community projects -- I just thought they all got together and did puzzles.

http://www.us.mensa.org/Content/AML/NavigationMenu/Programs/CommunityService/CommunityServices.htm

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 12:10:49 PM »

I think you would be right.  I'd stay away from that.  I mean, maybe if the qualifications for joining were getting a 180 or something, but as it stands...I wouldn't bother.

If you got a 180, to heck with Mensa! You would qualify with a 178 for one or more of the 99.8th percentile societies.

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 12:18:29 PM »

I think you would be right.  I'd stay away from that.  I mean, maybe if the qualifications for joining were getting a 180 or something, but as it stands...I wouldn't bother.

If you got a 180, to heck with Mensa! You would qualify with a 178 for one or more of the 99.9th percentile societies.

They only require a score in the 90th percentile of the LSAT (163).

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 12:45:16 PM »

I didn't know they did community projects -- I just thought they all got together and did puzzles.

Hmmm... I do love puzzles...

<--------------Sudoku addict
I am officially a law school graduate : )

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 12:45:34 PM »
I might join Mensa just to stroke my own ego... I've got dangerously low self-esteem though ;D

As for smiley's post, I totally agree significant others should support and build up each other. I nearly fell apart a hundred different times in this application process alone, and my wife was always there for me. I know she'll be a pillar of support in school as well. On her end, I'm encouraging her to look into things she wants to do for the three years we're in Champaign, IL. The school has great programs in almost every field, so she could easily pursue her own graduate degree - and there's also a lot of good work opportunities if she's not interested in more education right now. Bottom line is, if you're in a relationship that breaks you down, get out quick!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2006, 12:46:29 PM »
One of my exes went to UVa law. He's now an associate at a firm in DC.
I don't think he ever thought I was that smart or motivated. He really wanted me to be a little trophy wife for him, be passive, say "yes dear" and have his dinner ready for him when he got home. He even once said he was going to pick a grad school for me nearby so that I would have something "intellectual to do."

I think of scenarios now when the hiring partner at his firm is introducing me and he finds out that I'm now going to law school. I really do hope he's doing well and everything, it's just that he was so condescending all the time, like he was so great for going to UVa. He was someone who said words that were supposed to be building you up and offering you support, but actually were meant to make himself feel better and superior.

Gosh, this sounds so familiar!  I can understand the guy's sentiment, though... after all, I do want a trophy husband...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »

If you got a 180, to heck with Mensa! You would qualify with a 178 for one or more of the 99.9th percentile societies.

They only require a score in the 90th percentile of the LSAT (163).

LSAT takers must be smarter than the general population

artsy

• View Profile
    • Numbers:
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »
A year ago, I was planning on being barefoot in the kitchen and supporting my military husband.  (Not the ex who was offered the $50,000 job.  This is a different one.) 

Ah, how the times have changed.   
"I'm just a girl, standing in front of a law school, asking it to love her."

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2006, 12:42:03 AM »
Oh yeah, I definitely wasn't considering joining, it's just that I can't see anybody being impressed by it. 

You'd be surprised. Of course, most people in the real world aren't as intellectual (and unimpressionable) as the group on this board. I have gotten jobs working with fairly intellectual people (CPAs) who really noticed that line on my resume...who went on to discuss it with me. In fact, I joined Mensa just to put it on my resume...so I would have a way of saying "I'm really smart" without saying "I'm really smart." It gets the attention of the lay person.

Anyway, I have gone to several meetings. All were pretty hard to sit through. Oddly enough, most of the Mensans I encountered were blue collar, older (age 50+) folks who seemed not to be very distinguished or accomplished. Maybe there is some truth to the merit badge/ego fulfillment reasoning.
The University of Chicago
The Law School